We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extremely bad freezing. even the mouse is freezing.

onniilee

Likes # 0

for some odd reason my laptop started freezing, and not just a normal freeze, I mean even the clock and mouse freezes and we have to force shut it down for it to do anything. eventually it got worse and worse to the point that if I try to turn it on, even on safe mode it wont even make it to the start up menu; it shows the mouse then the mouse freezes and that's it. I believe something may have gone terribly wrong with the registry but I do not know enough about computers to be sure. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with it and what I should do to fix it? it is an HP laptop and it is only 2 years old.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Are you using an external mouse or the touchpad?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Has the Laptop been going slower and slower over a period of time or is it something that has just started.

Sometimes a bad infection could cause the problem what security programs did you have on your Laptop.

Either that or maybe a hard drive problem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A two year old HP laptop probably running Windows 7?

Keep Tapping F8 as you first start it up and get to the Advance tools menu.

From the menu select startup repair - if this doesn't repair it the first time then keep doing it until it does or for about 5 times before trying anything else

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I suspect a problem on the hard drive - may be worth running chkdsk. If unsure how to do this, ask and will point you to a guide. Sensible to backup all data that matters to you anyway, just in case.

Like this post
onniilee

Likes # 0

I am using the touchpad. and it was going a little slower but it sped back up when we did a system restore. after that is when we started having this problem. I do not know how to do a chkdsk but i will probably figure it out. thanks so much for responding guys :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

My computer.Right click C Drive.properties.Tools.Check now and tick both boxes.

Reboot and chkdsk will start.it could take an hour or so and you cant use the computer till it has finished.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You don't say what security programs you have.Try this and see if it finds any problems.

http://www.surfright.nl/en

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If W/7 go into command prompt and type sfc /scannow and see if that sorts out any problems.

Also go into device manager to see if any problems in there.

Also check how much disk space you have left.Just before you get into chkdsk you will see a big circle it will show you how much space you have in use and how much space you have left.

Like this post
onniilee

Likes # 0

the problem is my laptop freezes before i even have a chance to do any of that. it freezes right on the start up screen. it just says starting windows and that's it. I had avast at one point then I switched to a windows one I cannot remember the name. I apologize. this even happens on safe mode. (i'm currently on a different laptop)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Possibly two Anti Virus Programs running could cause this.

Gotta shut one down a.s.a.p.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...