We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stopping a program from auto load at startup using msconfig

johnincrete
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm tearing my hair out again! On my daughter's computer, I noticed that four programs were loading at startup which at the very best are not often used. So I ran msconfig and say that "selective startup" was ticked. I changed this to normal startup and disabled he programs. On startup, I get a message to say that windows is running selective startup! What am I doing wrong? It's XP S3

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Nothing wrong - you are running selective start up - because you are selecting which programs you want to start up with windows.
Normal start up will start up everything that thinks it needs to be started and you are right many of them don't need to be. I have only my antivirus, sound card manager and windows ctfmon and possibly gfx card panel starting with windows.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Rather than msconfig, I have used this little program for years:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Don't forget that Services are also started at boot as well and that these aren't always necessary. msconfig provides access to these, but I prefer to use Programs, Administrative Tools, Services (more informative about what is going on).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Or if you use CCleaner, Start Up is under Tools.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree disable them in CCleaner - Tools - Startup

This also shows programs that do not appear in msconfig

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. I use CCleaner to periodically clean up the system so I will use that instead of msconfig

Like this post  
michaelw

Likes # 0

You may have to repeat the disabling weekly as things like Real Player, Flash Player et al keep returning to Startup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015