We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paper Jammin in Printer

ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

Hi I have a Canon Pixma MP492 printer that usually works so well. Yesterday after printing two sheets and then an hour so so later, trying to print something else, pink warning light comes on the display saying the paper is jammed. The paper starts to go down to the roller but after a short while, only say 7cm of paper moves and then it stops. The paper is not massively jammed, you can pull it out but there on the base of the sheet is a sort of nitch where it has come into contact with something on the roller. Have searched in many online places seeking advice and received strange "solutions" from switching off the machine and counting to 20 {Absurd in this case] and at the other end, advice is "BIN IT. Certainly it does not appear to be an easy option to attempt to pull the machine apart and examine the roller. I thought I would seek advice on here before I reluctantly do discard it.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sounds as though something has managed to get stuck to the paper feed roller. But it is anyones guess how to clear it without sticking your hand in with the printer running and seeing if you can feel the foreign body. But that is in=inherently dodgy.

Will the roller turn by hand after unplugging the power cable?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

There's some basic stuff click here

Several different sources particularly near the bottom of the page. Look in the printer for even a tiny scrap which is enough to trick a limit switch or a sensing device.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

How does Bob Marley like his doughnuts?

Wi' jam in...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'll get my coat.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

I spotted that and was very tempted to allude to the great Bob Marley.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could try it upside down and give it a shake rattle and roll, that might dislodge whatever is stuck on the roller. (yes I am serious)

oh, and switching off the machine and counting to 20 is not so strange advice, that would clear the printers memory in some cases, but no good to you as it wouldn't dislodge anything from roller.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When this type of problem starts, it can lead to a number of things, all usually requiring looking in the 'inners' of the printer for anything from dust to a sensor moved. Pulling or forcing paper through the rollers manually can cause this problem.

Depending on the age of the printer, I usually suggest a new replacement printer due to expensive cost of possible repair. Many good cheap budget printers on the market nowadays.

Have you contacted Canon support for help and advice?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with spuds, my canon has just bitten the dust, it had been grating it's plastic gears for quite a while and finally got the dreaded 'purge' error code. When I downloaded instructions and vid on how to fix it, I decided it was time to chuck it instead. I'm ordering new one tomorrow.

Like this post
ChestnutToffee

Likes # 0

Don't you just love it when you type a reply, inadvertently press the wrong key and it all disappears!!!!! Thanks to you all for your help and when my Sister calls later this morning, all suggestions will be acted upon. I would comment that the paper has never been totally jammed. It is just that it will not feed through and you can then remove this sheet because it is not in any way stuck and there at the bottom, you can see where the paper has come into contact with something on the roller - just in one area, about an inch in width No, Spuds, have not bothered to contact Canon and am mostly resigned to replacing the printer, even though it is not all that old - possibly three years. I used to have Epson but don't know what to choose if I replace this. Thinking about a HP. have read about a CISS which seems an eoonomical way to get ink but have to delve a little more into this. Has anyone got a recommendation for a printer, under £100?? Lotvic, cannot help being nosey, what are you ordering? Will give an update later. THanks again to you all.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You could try feeding the thickest paper though that the printer will handle, this sometimes will remove old bits of torn paper.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Regarding replacement suggestions, I have a number of printers of various makes, (rather dump than repair) models and types.

What I am using at present is a all-in-one Brother DCP-135C. Superb bit of kit with 50 pence compatible inks available, also CISS. I think I paid £39.99 delivered from Rymans for that printer. Quite a lot of budget printer's on the market in the upto £50/60 range, some with wireless connections. Most have posted reviews, so the hard work of choosing might be easily resolved?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote