We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Update after System Restore

olyman

Likes # 0

I have carried out a Restore hoping to correct a faulty program. I have W7. The Restore deleted several Critical Windows Updates as expected. This was confirmed as they are no longer shown in Update History. When I now do an Update I am told Windows is up to date. I am worried that these critical updates are now missing leaving me at risk. There is also an "Important" update which I aborted whilst I checked what .NET Framework actually was. This pre-dated the Restore and is shown as "Cancelled" in History I would have expected this update to show up again in any Update check. I wonder if there is a program error where previous updates are logged in the system and referred to by the update whist the removed updates haven't been logged.

Like this post
olyman

Likes # 0

I received no replies to this query previously. I am in the same situation again after a Windows Update today during which I installed IE 10. As an important site became unusable I needed to uninstall IE10. The obvious route was System Restore which completed OK. I assumed that the various critical updates had been removed but they still show as installed in the update history including IE 10. IE 10 has reverted to IE9 in reality. A further Windows Update does not indicate any missing updates but I am worried that they have been removed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

some useful info here

I suggest you manually uninstall the offending updates and reboot then attempt to reinstall them

Like this post
olyman

Likes # 0

I selected to uninstall one random update via the Control Panel - I have to admit I didn't know that updates could be uninstalled by that route! I then did an update and found that it had been installed. It would seem that System Restore is selective and does not uninstall critical updates. You live and learn. Incidentally IE 10 is still showing in history as installed but not in Control Panel

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...