We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using VMware Fusion on Macbook

gav223

Likes # 0

Hi.

I need to open software on my 10.6.8 that is an exe file and realise that I need Windows to do this.

I wanted something that let me switch between both OS without having to reboot and decided to trial VMware Fusion.

I have downloaded the software, but do not know what to do to start using Windows. I am not tech minded at all and even after reading their instructions, still don't know what the next step is.

I've also read a couple of things saying to put a disc in, but I thought that I didn't need a disk with this.

Can someone please tell me hat I need to do.

Thanks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Having installed Fusion you now need to add a Virtual Machine - this efeectively means installing an operating system i.e. Windows.

Do you have a Windows installation disk?

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Hi bremner.

No, I don't have a disk.

I thought I read somewhere that I didn't need one. If I do, what is the cheapest option? As I mentioned, I only need it for one maybe two pieces of software. I have no intention of using it for anything else.

Cheers.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The other way is to create a VM by migrating an existing Windows installation.

http://www.vmware.com/uk/support/product-support/fusion/faq/prod_info.html and have a read.

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Hi bremner.

I'm getting a bit confused, but understanding a bit more as well.

I don't understand why someone would want to use this if they already have a windows PC. I thought it was for people using Macs, to be able to use Windows.

The only thing I have which is Windows is a netbook, but this doesn't come with a disk.

I read somewhere that I can download a copy of Windows legally. Is this possible.

Cheers.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

People use VM 's in Windows, Mac and Linux for many reasons and may for example have a Windows 7 computer that runs VM' s of Windows 98 and XP, as well as Ubuntu (Linux).

In a Mac it is most often used as an alternative to using Bootcamp partitioning to run a version of Windows as you desire.

Read the Fusion instructions as you may be able to migrate your Netbook to a VM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad