We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

open with in windows 7

gel
Resolved

Likes # 0

If I want to use the option 'open with' for a file in xp windows there are listed all the possibilities that are loaded in the machine I have the same programs loaded in my windows 7 computer but I am given very limited options I would like to open a microsoft works processor which I can do with winwows xp but not with windows 7 although Microsoft works is loaded on my windows 7 machine Any thoughts please gel

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I presume you mean works .wps word processor file. Are you not given an option to browse for a program to open with?

Why not open Word Processor and then open the file from within it.

If you want w7 to associate .wps with word processor then you have to make works word processor the default program for all .wps files.

Like this post  
gel

Likes # 0

Thank you lotvic That was quick I will give your suggestion a try and if I may come back if I have a problem Thank you gel

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

It works lotvic I have been working on this problem most of the day Your suggestion works for works processor and works spread sheets

I have used the option of opening the program and seeing the files from there

Perhaps I should have asked the question earlier but I do like to find a solution myself if possible I am very grateful Have a gold star gel

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

thank you gel, this should also be useful :)

How to Set or Change File Associations in Windows 7 ehow.com

Open the "Start" button and click the "Default Programs" shortcut. Click the "Set Associations" option.

Scroll down the list to find the file extension you want to change. Click it to select it.

Click the "Change program" button. Click the program you want to use to open the file. If the program doesn't appear, click the "Browse" button to find it. Click "OK" to set the file association.

Now when you double click a file it will open the program you have set for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded