We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD Player Region Codes

Jeffersonrex
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ive been searching for perhaps a more up-to-date method of restoring the region code on my DVD player within the computer. I searched the web-pages but there is nothing more current than around 2006. I would be looking for a free download only - for my needs its not worth paying a down load fee...unless of course it was under a tenner , say. What do u think ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

LTNRPC.EXE here will set / resrt liteon drives and may well do others aswell

Like this post  
Jeffersonrex

Likes # 0

Would have been very handy , downloads like a dream and easy to use but no affect on Windows media player. Nice try , though Thanks for that.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Media Player has it's own region protection. Try VLC instead.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

VLC is the only answer as Microsoft and firmware updates will make no difference. DRM limits.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1 Close out your Windows Media Player and any other program that might used the DVD player.

2 Click the "Start" button to load up the Start menu and right-click the "My Computer" (or "Computer") icon and select "Properties" from the pull-down menu.

3 Double-click the DVD/CD-ROM drive and right-click the DVD drive to bring up another pull-down menu. Select "Properties" once again.

4 Click the "DVD Region" tab and select "Region 2."

5 Click "Apply," and the DVD region is changed. You can now use Windows Media Player to watch Region 2 DVDs.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

True but aren't there only a certain number of times you can do this? If I remember correctly it was easy to forget how many time you have already changed it and then get stuck on a region that you don't want.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What's all this about Windows Media Player having a Region Setting?

I thought that the only Region Setting was the firmware in the DVD Drive. And software like AnyDVD etc avoids using the firmware region setting, as does VLC player unless it is an RPC2 drive. A lot of newer drives are RPC2 drives these days. Some of these drives don't allow raw access to the drive until the drive firmware has done a region check.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Region setting There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system: - 1 in the DVD drive - 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management. - 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!. An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares. On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo http://discinfo.rpc1.org/ or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie http://www.inmatrix.com/genie/ or DVD Region Killer http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/DVD%20region%20killer%20v2.7.0.2.exe (the later is highly recommanded).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thanks, I 'think' I understand a bit better now.

Like this post
Jeffersonrex

Likes # 0

I have read the above previously and I tried regionkiller - Windows put out a severe warning on downloading from this site so I didnt bother. I am going ahead with the other ideas. As far as VLC is concerned it wouldnt play anything region 1 or 2

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...