We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using an inernal laptop hard drive externally

anniesboy68
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've rescued a 250 gig hard drive from a now defunct laptop. Can this be used as an external drive somehow, no doubt using usb. And where might I purchase anything needed i.e caddy leads etc, please

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check it's a Sata or ide drive the have a look at something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nbsbnoss_2/280-4777431-3342152?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=2.5%22+enclosure

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Couldn't get the link correct, try this.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

, Ah... how to I tell which drive it is Sata or Ide. Its from a Acer 5920 laptop

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Thank you, will give it a go seeing that they are so cheap. AB68

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It will be a SATA drive caddy here

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

thanks fruitbat, have ordered. AB68

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Update..........All done and working, so I have now an external drive of 230gig, all for £6.98. Not bad eh? One more question how do yo signify that a post has been completed successfully. A long time ago there used to be a box to tick as completed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Just click in the grey column to the right of the Post that solved your problem.

That shows easily to other people searching the forum for answer, what exactly worked to overcome the problem.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Hi Fruitbat. Well, all the boxes have a tick against them already except the initial post AB68

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...