We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIG PROBLEM SO DESPERATE FOR HELP ON HARD DRIVE

eysha1
Resolved

Likes # 0

BIG PROBLEM. AM I IN BIG TROUBLE?

In dividing my new hard drive, given my rubbish maths, I have mis- calculated big time and now the C drive is only - 29 gigs. the next partition is about 100 gigs and the big one for my workstuff is 550 gigs. My BIG PROBLEM is now how to undo the C drive and take it back to the 129 gigs or to its full capacity of 750 gigs. Is that possible? I cannot find anywhere to set to factory defaults settings. It's a Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite C850D-12L Also how do i make recovery disks from this model. I think i don't like Win 8. I was using vista. I am on my old Vista now. Oh and by the way if i go into troubleshooting there is always an error of some sort. This laptop is only 24 hours old too. Many thanks for any help as i am going nuts now. E. Oh, just a thought - would it work to copy and paste the folders in the C drive to the other drive and then re-name them?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Many thanks. Will study it and cross my fingers too as i am not good at this.

Any idea where the recovery disks would be that i need to copy to disk?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No idea but you would have had all the info needed by Toshiba. In 8 I'd assume in the Start apps as you no longer have 'all programs'. If you get to the Start page, right click a blank space and click on 'all apps'. Same as all programs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13, this is getting silly now, there are too many threads from eysha1 all posted today about this hard drive and partitioning, recovery etc. and not much of the advice seems to have been followed.

eysha1 please can you tidy threads up by closing them and maybe stick to one thread? (click on big grey tick at side of any post and it will turn green, then when page is refreshed it will be marked 'resolved' - I know it isn't resolved but you could post a link to the thread you want to keep open)

I was going to post advice but then found it had already been given on a least two of your other threads.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , it might be getting silly but I think eysha1 is panicking and the last thing on this person's mind is resolving multiple threads at the mo.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13 dunno about that, it might just steady him/her up and stop panicking. Not like the laptop is going to do anything until instructed..... Time to stop and think before acting.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic ,I agree. Always pays to stop and think. I'm guilty of not doing so at times..;)

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Many thanks rdave, yes i am panacking but i take lotvic's point too and apologise to you all for that. I have followed instruction lotvic but being new some of them are confussing and i am trying my best - honest. Being a simple person, like many newbies to computers, i need advice in simple terms and i am so very gratful for the help i get here. This is a wonderful place to get help as there are so many experts here to help newbies like me so Thanks everyone. Lotvic,if you can close the threads please feel free.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Don't Panic windows 8 (64bit) takes up about 9G so you have plenty of room.

2. Personally I would set the C drive boot partition to approx 60G

Windows 8 built-in Disk Management has ability to shrink volume and extend volume. Just right click on "My Computer", choose "Manage", and you will get a popup window, choose "Disk Management" in left navigation bar. And then, your hard disk condition will show. First you need to Shrink the partition (D) next to c:

you need to right click on the partition which you want to shrink, and choose "Shrink Volume", then type a number how large space you want to free up.

When there is some unallocated space next to the partition (c) that you want to extend and right click the partition (c) that you want to extend, choose "Extend Volume", and type the number of that unallocated space. Then the Windows 8 partition resize is done.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

eysha1 , have you managed to restore?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...