We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIG PROBLEM SO DESPERATE FOR HELP ON HARD DRIVE

eysha1
Resolved

Likes # 0

BIG PROBLEM. AM I IN BIG TROUBLE?

In dividing my new hard drive, given my rubbish maths, I have mis- calculated big time and now the C drive is only - 29 gigs. the next partition is about 100 gigs and the big one for my workstuff is 550 gigs. My BIG PROBLEM is now how to undo the C drive and take it back to the 129 gigs or to its full capacity of 750 gigs. Is that possible? I cannot find anywhere to set to factory defaults settings. It's a Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite C850D-12L Also how do i make recovery disks from this model. I think i don't like Win 8. I was using vista. I am on my old Vista now. Oh and by the way if i go into troubleshooting there is always an error of some sort. This laptop is only 24 hours old too. Many thanks for any help as i am going nuts now. E. Oh, just a thought - would it work to copy and paste the folders in the C drive to the other drive and then re-name them?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Well it took all night to go back to factory settings and this morning when switching it on again i thought the problem was solved - But it isn't. the whole process seems pointless now as the hard drives are exactly the same as last night so i have the same problem. The C Drive stands at 29.8 gigs with only 1.13 gigs free. The other drive is at 97.5 gigs and all free. It is these two partitions that need to be altered as i cannot install any programmers on the C Drive now so the same problem remains. The big hard drive is at 550 gigs and empty. When i set it back to factory default settings last night i assumed it would re-do the hard drive too and make it back into one but no. I still need help on this problem if my generous helpers are still around, otherwise i am lost.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

lotvic, that is the one i used earlier, yesterday.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ok, to get more space on the C drive disable hibernation, click here To get command prompt (administrator), move mouse pointer to bottom left, right click the start square and select Command Prompt (admin). Type or copy and paste powercfg -h off and press enter. Check available space on drive. If you now have room to install a program then read this tutorial and install EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are these two partitions next to each other?

If so in dusk management right click on the largre on and click shrink and put in the full size of the partition into the box

this will then make it unallocated space

next right click on the C:drive and select expand, again put the full size of the large partition into the box.

This will effectively merge the two partitions giveing you a C: dive of nearly 120Gb which rdave seems to think you'll need.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Now is the time to decide how big and how many partitions you want to end up with.

You need to delete the empty partition next to C: so that it becomes UNallocated space then C: can be made bigger.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I can finally report that I am sorted now. I now have my C Drive at 127 gigs and the other partition at 550 gigs for my data. It was simply a matter of deleting one partition and extending the C drive and merging the two. Wish I had known about it earlier as it would have saved the computer running all night and doing nothing. However, this thread may help others in the future so it probably isn't wasted. I want to give many thanks to all those who helped me. It was so appreciated. Fingers crossed all will stay well now. Kindest regards to all. Eysha1 (a girl)

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad you're sorted.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Well done, panic over.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you can boot to Windows, have a look at something for Toshiba recovery manager. If not have a look here, https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

NEVER attempt doing anything with disk management before you burn the recovery discs.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia