We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIG PROBLEM SO DESPERATE FOR HELP ON HARD DRIVE

eysha1
Resolved

Likes # 0

BIG PROBLEM. AM I IN BIG TROUBLE?

In dividing my new hard drive, given my rubbish maths, I have mis- calculated big time and now the C drive is only - 29 gigs. the next partition is about 100 gigs and the big one for my workstuff is 550 gigs. My BIG PROBLEM is now how to undo the C drive and take it back to the 129 gigs or to its full capacity of 750 gigs. Is that possible? I cannot find anywhere to set to factory defaults settings. It's a Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite C850D-12L Also how do i make recovery disks from this model. I think i don't like Win 8. I was using vista. I am on my old Vista now. Oh and by the way if i go into troubleshooting there is always an error of some sort. This laptop is only 24 hours old too. Many thanks for any help as i am going nuts now. E. Oh, just a thought - would it work to copy and paste the folders in the C drive to the other drive and then re-name them?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

JL is a respected retailer and very much doubt that they would try, or want, to sell inferior goods. It was working OK until you tried to partition the drive?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

yes it is still working and at 25% now. Since the system is new and no one has had this probelm before maybe this thread will help a lot of others in the future. I hope it saves them a lot of time and they learn from my mistake. Again so nice to know i have helpers to which i am so gratful.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I agree about JL, i buy a lot there as i like the firm and never had a problem but it is possible that this laptop has been taken back and with so much stock they are sorting out to sell on that this one had a problem that was overlooked. Maybe we will never know. I cannot really answer that question fully as i don't know what win 8 was supposed to be like, never seen it before and only used XP and Vista prior to buying this one. I am assuming it is my fault by trying to partition it and i will accept the blame as i cannot say any differnt. still at 25%

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

at 12.03 am it is now at 26%.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

eysha1 ,you're not to blame, possibly a teeny weeny bit at fault, by not trying to understand the new OS, which is totally different, in many ways, to the other Windows OSs, before you did the basics of creating recovery media.

It looks as it's going to take a long time to correct itself so I suggest to make sure the lappy is on the transformer (power brick) and leave it to its own devices until tomorrow.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave, it is on the transformer but i am worried about leaving it on it's own, Elecricity worries me and i always switch everything off at night, but i can't this time so looks like i will ahve to stay up all night.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

eysha1 , it will be fine. I've left laptop and desktops running for days without any problems. Overnight won't make any difference as they're built for that purpose. If anything, shutting down and rebooting is worse than leaving a PC on 24-7 for the circuitry. Just hope that tomorrow it will be asking for an input from you :)

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I have never left a laptop or computer running over night, never needed too but i am shattered. I was studying for Uni until 3.30am yesterday morning so tired now. Will let it run and see what happens tomorrow then. Will not be touching the hard drive again without instructions, not making that mistake twice. it sure has been alearnng curve so i hope lots has been learnt for the future, i have learnt - the hard way, lol. You best go to bed now too and many thanks for all the help. Will speak again tomorrow with an update.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suggest before you do anything else with the W8 laptop you watch all 4 videos on the playlist (hover mouse cursor over the icons at bottom of video screen and then click on playlist and choose one to watch or just press play and watch each as they will play one after the other) These tell you how to access programs and menus in W8 and how to switch to Desktop mode.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/How-To-Understanding-System-Restore-Refresh-Reset-and-Recovery/ta-p/342690

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This is a good page for Toshiba Windows 8 Knowledge Base

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses