We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIG PROBLEM SO DESPERATE FOR HELP ON HARD DRIVE

eysha1
Resolved

Likes # 0

BIG PROBLEM. AM I IN BIG TROUBLE?

In dividing my new hard drive, given my rubbish maths, I have mis- calculated big time and now the C drive is only - 29 gigs. the next partition is about 100 gigs and the big one for my workstuff is 550 gigs. My BIG PROBLEM is now how to undo the C drive and take it back to the 129 gigs or to its full capacity of 750 gigs. Is that possible? I cannot find anywhere to set to factory defaults settings. It's a Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite C850D-12L Also how do i make recovery disks from this model. I think i don't like Win 8. I was using vista. I am on my old Vista now. Oh and by the way if i go into troubleshooting there is always an error of some sort. This laptop is only 24 hours old too. Many thanks for any help as i am going nuts now. E. Oh, just a thought - would it work to copy and paste the folders in the C drive to the other drive and then re-name them?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Note: for others reading thread, the recovery discs in eysha1's post above refer to the Vista laptop and not the new Windows 8 laptop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Well that going onto a new page messed up my reference to 'post above' so will amend sentence to:

Note: for others reading thread, the recovery discs in eysha1's last post on page 3 refer to the Vista laptop and not the new Windows 8 laptop.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

nice to know we night owls are not alone Lotvic. Why is it taking so long? It's a new laptop and i didn't even get to put one programme on, i tried to install CCleaner but it wouldn't allow it. I have put nothing on at all so why all this time to restore?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You made recovery discs?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic . My reply above took a while to post but understand now.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I am so gratful for your help, all of you.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly messing around with partitions on a UEFI 'bios'.

Don't ask but you might have done something to the GPT on the C: drive. Other hdds or partitions can use the Master Boot Record but not the C drive. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

That is if the laptop has the new uefi 'bios'

How's the percentage now?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have no idea why it is taking so long, I don't know if that is normal for a Toshiba W8 laptop.

I'll have a look at Toshiba forums and see if any info on there.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Nah, had a very quick look onToshiba forums. seems W8 is too new for anyone having a similar problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is it still working?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'