We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIG PROBLEM SO DESPERATE FOR HELP ON HARD DRIVE

eysha1
Resolved

Likes # 0

BIG PROBLEM. AM I IN BIG TROUBLE?

In dividing my new hard drive, given my rubbish maths, I have mis- calculated big time and now the C drive is only - 29 gigs. the next partition is about 100 gigs and the big one for my workstuff is 550 gigs. My BIG PROBLEM is now how to undo the C drive and take it back to the 129 gigs or to its full capacity of 750 gigs. Is that possible? I cannot find anywhere to set to factory defaults settings. It's a Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite C850D-12L Also how do i make recovery disks from this model. I think i don't like Win 8. I was using vista. I am on my old Vista now. Oh and by the way if i go into troubleshooting there is always an error of some sort. This laptop is only 24 hours old too. Many thanks for any help as i am going nuts now. E. Oh, just a thought - would it work to copy and paste the folders in the C drive to the other drive and then re-name them?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

eysha1 , have you managed to restore?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , disagree about the partition required. Fine just for the OS but you need your security , backup, office etc. installed on your C:\ drive. I was a bit generous with 120 GB but 60 GB is too small in my humble opinion.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

eysha1 glad you're giving yourself time to think :) Only you can close threads, the big grey ticks do not appear for anyone else, just the thread owner (you in this case)

May I just say that to help those who are helping you, when you have followed advice then post to say so and what has happened. This is so helper will know what to advise next.

When you have got it Restored to Factory Settings the next thing is for you to decide what you want. I think making the Recovery DVDs should be first on your list before you think about resizing partitions, (you may decide not to resize anyway at the moment)

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

lotvic, i am a girl. Fruit Bat, i got your message too late and am now re-setting the laptop to factory settings, i hope. Everytime i tried to do something on it it kept telling me there was an error, it was really annoying as i had no idea why - it was only bought yesterday so i don't even have a programme on it yet. I couldn't even make a recovery disk as it said error. I did alter the hard drive to divide it and got my sums wrong but that shouldn't get the laptop to keep reporting errors, should it? If i get it sorted, fingers crossed, i am hoping to divide the harddrive into 60 gigs for the C drive as you sugggest, what is that in megs? then divide the rest up for Programmes, how much do you advise there and what is that in megs? i only used about 15 gigs on this old one for programmes as i don't use many programmes and i am not a gamer, then the rest of the hard drive for my data files, phots etc. what would that be in megs? I didn't expect to have so many problems with a brand new computer.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

eysha1 , with respect you have created your own problems by jumping in to things you have very limited knowledge of. I strongly disagree with Fruit Bat /\0/\'s assessment that 60 Gig is enough for the C:\ drive for Win 8. That's another debate, though, so have you managed to restore yet?

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Still trying to restore drave, it's at 13% now after about an hour. It wouldn't make a cd of the recovery but it did make a USB one. I had made partition dividers before on older laptops and was thinking of a programme originally until told on here that win 8 did it so i didn't need a programme. My fault was in my maths, or lack thereof. I would still want to divide my partition so that my data is safe on a seperate partition but i will be asking for the necessary megs number before i do it again. However i still think that my lack of maths shouldn't have casused it to keep reporting errors - should it. I am a newbie but leraning a lot from her so i am gratful to everyone that does help. E

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are you doing the F12 at startup, and the 'Reset' option?

I was surprised to read that the process may take one to two hours to complete. I also read the recovery process will restart your computer several times. Best just to leave it to do it's thing.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

no, did the system reset and it is taking forever, will be up all night i guess. what is the f12 reset option? missed that one. might have taken a lot less time. Oh well...

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

is it possible to cancel the reset system on win 8? it is only at 19% after about an hour and a half and it is going to take all night and i doubt i can stay awake long enough. if i can cancel how do i do it in win 8? thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't cancel it, it may be in the middle of doing something critical.

Will read rdave13's links from page 1 and see what if any options are available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...