We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best smart phone to replace Psion

BrianMaxted

Likes # 0

I posted this question last July- "I love my Psion with its separate open out qwerty keyboard, good sized screen and a complete computer programme content (word, spreadsheet, agenda etc and a wonderful data facility that can be adapted for bespoke use with a fabulous search ability). However the Psion software was unique ( although spread and word was convertible to Microsoft) and no longer made or supported and very heavy. I need to change to a more modern option including phone and camera facilities. Can anyone recommend the best option to include ideally Microsoft sheet, word and Outlook (reluctantly I may have to loose the Data facility which is exceptional in Psion)".
I had several replies stating that an ACCEPTABLE MS Office type option on smartphones would not be available until the turn of the year. Has that occurred as yet, I seem to hear very conflicting reports on Windows 8. Thank you. Brian Maxted

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/20/beginners-tech-help/4157829/best-smartphone-tablet-replacement-for-psion/#ixzz2KQCgp600

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Was thinking of you last night as I left Tesco. Their Phone bit is close by the Exit. A gift for Tea Leaves I would have thought.

However, back to business.

The new Windows Nokia has a specially adapted version of M$ Office installed, which includes Excel. If I remember rightly, their spreadsheet was the Psion's killer App.

That should put it right up your street.

Like this post
BrianMaxted

Likes # 0

Thanks Wee Edie. I'll have a look, Brian

Like this post
BrianMaxted

Likes # 0

Thanks Wee Edie. I'll have a look, Brian

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I used Psion for years.

Now use Samsung Galaxy Note which to me is a logical progression.

Not as good as the Psion, of course, nothing is!

There are several free applications which handle MS Office files, in fact, I think the Note has one installed as standard.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Not as good as the Psion, of course, nothing is!"

I was a dedicated Psion user, but come, come - are you seriously suggesting that nothing available today is its equal?

I have an HP PDA that I never use now, because I find my iPad easier and more versatile. The PDA could leave my old Psion standing when it comes to power, speed, useability and versatility however.

The Psion was a great little device, but it wasn't that great. If you really want a Psion you can still have one.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Not as good as the Psion, of course, nothing is!"

I was a dedicated Psion user, but come, come - are you seriously suggesting that nothing available today is its equal?

I have an HP PDA that I never use now, because I find my iPad easier and more versatile. The PDA could leave my old Psion standing when it comes to power, speed, useability and versatility however.

The Psion was a great little device, but it wasn't that great. If you really want a Psion you can still have one.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

AS you know Nokia bought Psion out I have the Old N97 Phone with slide out keyboard. As to Software I have Acer N35 that runs Windows Mobile as Word and Excel also GPS but no modem, this can use a SD card Modem

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" are you seriously suggesting that nothing available today is its equal?"

No, just giving a light hearted opinion while trying to offer a serious answer to the question.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The Make of Smartphone is mildly irrelevant.

What you need to discover is what "Software" you will need to use to replace that which you ran on the Psion. Then you can run it on almost any Android or iPhone. However I am not really sure that Smart Phones have the same abilities yet. Although they are very capable and have oodles of computing ability, they're still at the "Toy" stage of their development.

Sorry, those of you who are still in their nappies call such a program, an "App", short for Application, because its been dumbed down so that you can use your fingers as you did in Nursery School!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten