We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD drive letter mixed up after clean install

maggielou43

Likes # 0

Hi Just did an XP Pro. clean install. Opened computer only to see that the Local Drive is called (E:) and the removable drive is called (C:) DVD drive is correct (D:) Also when I first rebooted after the install was completely finished the desktop appeared as normal, but now the desktop has disappeared. How do I get it back please.

All files & folders are in Local Disk (E:)

can I change the disc drive to (C:) If so How please?? Tried "rename" and although it accepts the rename the (E:) appears after the typed in name (Local Disk (C:) If I cant change it will it effect my pc for example when downloading stuff that would normally request loading to a file in (C:) programmes.

followed everything to the letter so I dont know how this happened. Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sorry I had missed the fact that it was a laptop

Make and model?

You can remove the CD drive usually by looking on the base and unscrewing one screw and it will slide out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added