We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD drive letter mixed up after clean install

maggielou43

Likes # 0

Hi Just did an XP Pro. clean install. Opened computer only to see that the Local Drive is called (E:) and the removable drive is called (C:) DVD drive is correct (D:) Also when I first rebooted after the install was completely finished the desktop appeared as normal, but now the desktop has disappeared. How do I get it back please.

All files & folders are in Local Disk (E:)

can I change the disc drive to (C:) If so How please?? Tried "rename" and although it accepts the rename the (E:) appears after the typed in name (Local Disk (C:) If I cant change it will it effect my pc for example when downloading stuff that would normally request loading to a file in (C:) programmes.

followed everything to the letter so I dont know how this happened. Thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It looks like you might have installed XP on to your E: drive as opposed to the C: Is that a possibility?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What is wrong with posting links today?

enter link description here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, the _ 's mess it up. If two of them the bit inbetween changes to italics and breaks the link. Don't know about the rest and the 'here' you got at each end.

Like this post
maggielou43

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for trying. Tried googling it but just got an error page.

perhaps you could try again or just push me in the right direction to find it myself. thanks again.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
maggielou43

Likes # 0

Hi Thank you for the link. It worked fine EXCEPT for my errors. To understand I'll summarise from the beginning:

After installation completed the computer screen showed as follows:

Local Drive C:) DVD-RW D:) None Existent removeable drive C:)

I think this non existent drive appeared because I used a very old XP installation disc relating to a mobo with only a CD Drive. When used on a mobo with a DVD_RW It accomodated it by creating another removeable drive. This then put the drive letters out of sequence. I may be totally wrong but this appeared to be a logical explanation. Also I knew the old XP disc would cause issues, and give me a learning platform in resolving them.

I was so focused on changing Local Disk E:) to C:) that when I finished I forgot to repeat the instructions to change removeable disk C:) to F:) What a binhead!!!!!

End result got two C:) drives. PC starts ok, builds memory then goes into screen with windows logo and stays there. Tried the installation disc, downloads files but stops as above when it cant install, but now its not even doing that. Its not reading Cd's at all Perhaps it thinks that the non existent C:) drive is full.

Solution reformat the HDD.

1) If I used the internal HDD externally with a USB connection would it reformat the drive: 2) The Bios has a USB boot up option. Could this be used. 3) Is there a utility available that would reformat without using the CD drive. 4) Downloads no good without an OS

Big Big Worry. The bios appears to be getting difficult to get into .many thanks for your time and help. M

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Disconnect CD drive

If IDE drives - Make sure HDD is set to master and CD slave

and see if it will boot with CD drive removed

Then connect CD drive on same cable and see if it will boot

Surprised it sees CD drive as removable drive do you have a car reader fitted?

Do you have a floppy drive?

Like this post
maggielou43

Likes # 0

hi Thanks for your response.

In the Bios I diabled all drives except the HDD and restarted the pc but no success.

Ref: HDD to Master: CD to slave: In the Bios I have never changed anything except time date and boot order. Not sure how to do/check this.

Also in bios I think that the master drive has 0 value against it Dont know if this is significant. I get a bit confused when they appear to have different names. HDD : IDE : Master : primary

Perhaps you could detail the instructions a little more please. (Sorry)

Connect Cd drive on the same cable to see if it will boot. Sorry I dont understand. How? What cable? Do you mean when I get caddy and usb cables to use internal HDD as external HDD??

The laptop has a built in card reader. This is my first laptop, ive only had it for a week and have never used the card reader.

No floppy drive. You may well be right, It could be seeing the removable disc as a card reader. I did establish that the "disk" was empty.

Also this week is the first time I have entered a BIOS since about 2004. At that time, once entered you could page down through every section of the bios, but now its a different key number for each section. I think I have established that tapping the esc key and then pressing the F? for whichever section required is the best method. Does that sound right? Trying to reduce stress on the BIOS/mobo. Its had a lot of hammer this week. Perhaps it knows its in the hands of a binhead. lol Dont mind losing the OS or HDD but really dont want to kill the laptop.

Really sorry for all this trouble. Please dont feel obligated to respond. I can try some more and if still unsuccessful, i can just use a new HDD. learning processes are always expensive. yes!!!!!!!!!

Thnaks again for your time and efforts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED