We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to partition a harddrive

eysha1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, i have just bought a new laptop Windows 8 with a 750 harddrive but want to partition it safely. Is there a programme that is FREE that will do this? I used to partition with 'Partition Magic' will that still work safely and if so how do i convert megs i think, to Gigs? I am useless at conversion. Many thanks E.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Windows 8 uses the same system as Window 7 and includes all the tools you need for partitioning your disk. Go to the Desktop, right click on Computer and left click on Managem followed by left click on Disk Management. All will be revealed....

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Good link Fruit Bat /\0/\

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Very many thanks Fruit-Bat, I have jumped from Vista to Win 8 so didn't know about that. I take it you think it is a good idea to partition to help stop virus' etc from messing up your important stuff? Can you advise, is there any free programmes that would be good to install for safety? Or is the ones i have on the dying laptop ok? I have Microsoft Essentials and AVG.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I prefer to partition the op system and keep it small then image it to another physical drive, makes for quick restore if needed.

Programs are install to another partition, Data I keep on a separate partition and image that to another physical drive as well.

Do not mix AVG and MSE

Use MSE as realtime antivirus (or Avast) add spywareblaster as a blocker Malwarebtes as an antimalware scanner

this should give adequate cover for free

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Sorry Fruit Bat, you lost me. What is imaging and how do i do that? My C drive is 127 gigs. Do you mean me to divide this up into sections? One for Programmes, one for OS and one for imaging? I have the other drive for my data. Thanks Fruit Bat

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

I have jsut divided my C drive and it is now only 29.83 gigs and it tells me i only have 15 megs free space. Have i messed up? It will not extend now so am i in trouble?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote