We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC upgrade - New or Upgrade current?

mgowland

Likes # 0

I'm not a hardcore gamer but my current PC is struggling to run the most recent games e.g. Black Ops 2, any of the Battlefields etc. I'm looking for advice as to whether I should upgrade my current PC (perhaps the GPU) or buy a new computer. Ideally, my PC should be able to run all current games and run future games reasonably well for the next couple of years (the highest frame rate isn't vital).

This is the spec of my current PC:

HP Pavilion Slimline s5760uk (Will this be easy to upgrade as I'm a bit of a beginner?)

Motherboard - M2N68-LA Processor - AMD Athlon II X4 640 RAM - 4GB DDR3-1333 GPU - ATI RADEON 5450HD 512MB

Below is the link to the exact specifications if required...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02675162&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5035352&prodTypeId=12454

Apart from the GPU, are their any other components which impact significantly on gaming experience? And also, if your advice is to buy a new PC, what would you recommend looking at for a budget of around £750?

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
robiesnggs

Likes # 0

It's better to take the tech support service instead of posting into forums and all. I got super service at http://vkwinc.com/ourservices/asynchronous-tech-support

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

To be honest if you are prepared to spend £750 then a new system makes more sense. Yes you could upgrade but before you know it you would have probably bought a new system what with GPU which I would suspect would need to be low profile as your overall system is a slimline one. Perhaps a PSU to power the new GPU a new CPU because you are getting a bottleneck with the new graphics card.

Have a look at Chillblast,they have a pretty good name I believe.

Hers one or two to look at.

Fusion hurricane. A nice PC.

Fusion Scout A little over budget but does come with a 128GB SSD for programs and operating system.

Fusion Vector Not my first choice I must admit.

There are other companies which I will look at and post back later. But theses will give you a rough idea of what you should be looking for in a gaming PC.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've mentioned it before, and have no problem saying it again. I got an excellent PC - and service - from ViBox, who advertise extensively on eBay. For just over £400, I got a quad core 4GHz processor (AMD, admittedly, rather than Intel), 8GB of memory, 1TB disk, decent power supply and ATI 650SE. My son (who is pretty demanding... :-( ) is happy with it (he plays BF3, Skyrim, Planetside) but a better graphics card would enable him to play those games on even higher settings.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Perhaps a link would be useful Ian in Northampton? Vibox

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

could try this too http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1522 . I have used Scan many times , and always been impressed by there work .

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronos: of course. I just wish someone would invent a reliable search engine... ;-)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I am sorry Ian,you asked for this.lol Google.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Yes, Chronos, I'm familiar with LMGTFY... :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...