We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

2 issues with an older XP machine

trisha01

Likes # 0

I have been given an older Compusys pc, Compusys Economist P43HZ80GBMTE, running Win XP Pro. I upgraded the memory from 1gb to 2gb yesterday,and cleared a load of junk programs from it, however, I cannot install Service pack 3 at all, I've Googled and tried all the solutions available, I want to know is it essential to have service pack 3 ? if so how can I get this installed?

The other issue is that the BIOS has a password, so I can't get into the BIOS , I don't think the previous owner passworded it and I believe that some manufacturers did put passwords on. Does anyone know how I can take the password off? would the two issues be related in anyway?

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Reinstall of XP would cure the Service Pack 3 problem but then you would have to track down the SATA drivers and have them ready on a floppy when the install calls for them. No idea where you would get SATA drivers from though.

Service Pack 3 is essential as there is no way of installing many of the later security patches without it and as XP isn't the most secure of operating systems anymore you really don't want to be connecting to the net without SP3 and all updates.

You could try pulling the CMOS battery and letting it sit for a few minutes to see if that clears the CMOS and also the password. There may also be a CMOS jumper which you can use to do the same thing but you may need the motherboard manual for that.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you try installing sp3 from the stand-alone CD? you can download it from MS (ignore the part about 'smaller, more appropriate download for individual users available') The .iso is for any and all versions of XP and sorts itself out to which it needs when it installs.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to load SP2 before trying to load 3

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Acess Denied when trying to install SP3

Your anti virus / antispyware may be blocking access to the registry.

1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYLOCALMACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCURRENTUSER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f subinacl /subdirectories %windir%. /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

1. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.
Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To reset BIOS password

disconnect PC from mains

remove CMOS battery for 20 mins

refit battery and connect to mains

reboot and see if it will enter BIOS

This should have reset BIOS to default settings

Some backdoor passwords for the BIOS

BIOS Passwords

http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-passwords.htm

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm

http://corky.net/2600/computers/reset-bios-password.shtml

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its a Laptop, only way I know of removing BIOS password its to open it up and Remove the CMOS battery.It may be under the Memory under a Plate at the bottom or you may find software on Google to access the BIOS password

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

note: you need to burn the .iso image to CD with an appropriate burning program, like the free Imageburn (as with all free programs watch out for any 'extras like toolbars etc to untick during installation - I can't remember if there are any offered with imgburn program)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

FWIW, I've been running several XP machines that have only been updated to SP2 (I have my reasons for not going to SP3). While taking advantage of the superior security SP3 offers is unquestionably good advice, I have - touch wood - never experienced any security issues through a combination of being careful and using a decent antivirus package (Avast). I guess I'm saying, it's not necessarily a killer issue if you can't upgrade to SP3.

Like this post
trisha01

Likes # 0

the machine didn't come with any discs or manuals, cannot find any info whatsoever about this pc. A reinstall is out of the question, if I can't get service pack 3 on it's not the end of the world but I do like things to work 'right, pack 2 is on, I did disable the antivirus etc. I had to go to the Intel site and update the chipset drivers, then the network drivers, so I guess it's been a bit neglected in the past, however I will need to access the BIOS as I want to add another hard drive so going to try the battery removal.... that's if I can find it....

Like this post
trisha01

Likes # 0

the machine didn't come with any discs or manuals, cannot find any info whatsoever about this pc. A reinstall is out of the question, if I can't get service pack 3 on it's not the end of the world but I do like things to work 'right, pack 2 is on, I did disable the antivirus etc. I had to go to the Intel site and update the chipset drivers, then the network drivers, so I guess it's been a bit neglected in the past, however I will need to access the BIOS as I want to add another hard drive so going to try the battery removal.... that's if I can find it....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?