We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

64 bit question for the more experienced than I

Aleksandr

Likes # 0

I have an old pentium d dual core processor and gigabyte vm900m mobo. I was running xp pro quite happily with 2gb ram, until I got restless and thought I would speed it up some.

So the poormans upgrade is always more ram, right.?

But then I discovered that a 32bit system cannot fully utilise 4gb and since that is the max my ancient board can take, I pondered moving to 64bit.

I upgraded to windows 8 pro 64 bit and put in another 2 gb of ram.

It is actually running pretty good, but my ancient hardware still doesn't make the most of the 4gb, (2.95 usable).

So not being one to stop before I achieve what I set out to do, I now think the only option is new mobo and processor.

It doesen't have to be top of the range, just something that will make use of all the memory and maybe even be able to take more than 4gb.

If it were possible I would like a mobo with a ide connector so I can retain my HDD.

Can some of you guys suggest a mobo and processor. There are just too many for me to start researching without a hint where to start.

Like this post
Aleksandr

Likes # 0

The card is a GEforce 610.

Before I put it in I had 3.15 available, now 2.95.

I believe the reason I am not getting the best of the 64 bit system is because the mobo cannot remap memory.

Like this post
Aleksandr

Likes # 0

The card is a GEforce 610.

Before I put it in I had 3.15 available, now 2.95.

I believe the reason I am not getting the best of the 64 bit system is because the mobo cannot remap memory.

Like this post
Aleksandr

Likes # 0

I had expected to be upgrading the ram until you suggested otherwise.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

This from Ebuyer is not a bad bundle add another 2GB RAM for £11 and you have a nice little set up.

Cheaper bundle here. Novatech.

Others here dependent on budget of course. CCL.

Like this post
Aleksandr

Likes # 0

Here is what I had come up with before coming here for advice.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/motherboardbundles/mbb-32204a.html

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I was trying to keep it low because you gave the impression that you had very little money to spend. A few hours later you come back with a link to a £164 bundle which makes me believe I wasted my time.

As to the bundle it is fine.

Like this post
Aleksandr

Likes # 0

NO NO I appreciate your help, I was just showing you what I had come up with on my own.

It's not a massive leap from £123.52 to £164.99.

Do you think it would be worth the difference.

That's if I haven't upset you.

Like this post
Aleksandr

Likes # 0

And If I can sell the 4gb of DDR2 then the difference is smaller

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

DDR 2 still command good prices and I will imagine you can sell it quite easily on the bay. I am on my phone right now so cannot check prices for your RAM.

As for your bundle as it has an i3 CPU SKT 1155 as opposed to your current mobo which is the older SKT 775 then it is undoubtably better. Who will be joining the modern world in computing terms anyway.lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......