We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broken External Disc Drive or Something Else?

the-peoples-poet
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

Was wondering if I could get some opinions/advice or maybe a solution to a problem that I have had recently.

I have an external hard drive (the internal ones are properly messed up and unrepairable) and when I go to burn data onto a disc, whether I use expensive paid softwre or something free, everything seems to be going along as normal, at the end I even get a 'disc created successfully' message. Yet, when I put the disc into the drive to check it, make sure everything has burned onto it properly, the disc shows up on the comp as being blank. I can even put the same disc back into the drive (the one that I have just used) and use it again to try burning the data onto it. When I put the disc into the DVD player, an error comes up saying 'disc not recognised' or 'disc cannot be played'.

I am considering spending money on a new external drive, but if there is something wrong within the computer somewhere else, will buying a new drive necessarily help? Everything else in the comp works perfectly (apart from the broken dives I mentioned) so I dont' know where to go next.

I can't afford at the moment to buy a whole new harddrive. Has anyone else had issues like this? Can anyone give me any advice?

My comp is a Dell Inspiron 530 running on Vista Service Pack 2.

Thank you.

Like this post
the-peoples-poet

Likes # 0

I will definitely be back, thank you. Everyone I have encountered here has been so nice and friendly. Thank you again :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad