We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus Help

QuantumMike

Likes # 0

Hello, I bought this laptop (asus g73jh) about a year and a half a go and its been working like a charm up until a few months ago. One day I took it on a road trip and I attempted to burn a disc in the car before we got going in the parking lot, and as soon as I opened the laptop i heard a repeated clicking that sounded a bit like the muffled roar of the computer fan, as soon as this happened, my computer went a bit out of whack; Explorer.exe stopped loading on its on when starting, explorer.exe crashed whenever I opened up start and clicked all programs(also crashes occasionally when browing through explorer for a save site in windows office programs (word and excel).

I have tried using programs like freefixer but it always gets stuck at scanning crss.exe virtual memory files (this might correlate to the above issue?)

Another issue is that an audio producing program on my computer now takes at least 10 minutes to load properly(will crash if you attempt to click it, also takes 10 minutes to switch to a new file or program. (During loading files)

Itunes also has a very slow start up time

I am able to play games such as League of legend on it as well as Guildwars 2 on high settings

I figured the fan might not have been the problem, but could this possibly be from a certain part overheating?

-Mike

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on the topic will post specs if you need them, here are some basics:

Intel Core - i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz

8GB ram Windows 7 64 - bit OS

Please let me know if you need any more info

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/28/windows-7-help/4208303/asus-g73jh--help/#ixzz2KFByLyq4

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

a repeated clicking coupled with with other problems sounds as if the hard drive is failing.

Try running scandisk

Search - type chkdsk /f/r - press OK It may ask to schedule ant next boot if so let it do it. You may have to reload the programs that are having problems as well.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Also try checking the vent to make sure it isn't blocked with dust. Stand the laptop on it's side, turned off, with the fan outlet vent uppermost and the intake vent for the fan facing you. Shine a torch into the vent. If you see light appearing around the fan under the intake vent then it is clear, if not then the heat exchanger is blocked. This will cause the processor to throttle back to it's lowest setting and the laptop to slow right down.

The repeated clicking sounds like a hard drive dying as Fruit Bat /\0/\ has already said. Did you have the laptop on when moving it? Mechanical hard drives do not like to be moved when working as the heads can crash onto the platters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......