We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to further test system with 4x bsod?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

This is more of an extension of my last post, but I didnt want to bump continuously.

Ive had 4 bsod, seemingly unrelated to one another.

2x 'BADPOOLHEADER's - Online Armor driver OADriver.sys, Avast module aswSP.SY.

2x 'KERNELDATAINPAGE_ERROR's - both relating to ataport.SYS (ATAPI Driver Extension).

Im not sure what to do. The bsod is happening roughly once every couple of days. The system is seemingly clean with multiple antivirus program scans, tdsscleaners/killers, ram, hdd and cpu checkers. No issues, no slow down, nothing unusual. I dont have any restore points (this was seemingly switched off), and I dont think I can install vista same on the same hdd twice (on my other partition) for a quick check to see if its hardware related, as far as I can tell, regarding the legalities of it all. I'll clone the drive next time, lol. I dont really want to reinstall the entire system right now, and I've tried removing the last software installed before the crashes started, and switching firewalls (from ZA to OA) but that didnt help, as you can tell from one of my bsod. Ive been advised not to use combofix as that can ruin the system for good. What would you do (aside from switching to xp, 7, 8 or buying a mac) XD

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The first one seems to be your Firewall and Avast.Maybe delete both then reinstall.

Have you had any bother Updating avast lately.

2nd one maybe caused by a rootkit so try TDS Killer to see if it finds any problems.

TDS Killer

Maybe just run the TDS killer first in case there is a rootkit causing the problems.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Just a thought have you checked your hard drive for bad sectors? If the computer is trying to read/write to a bad sector it can cause random BSOD.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

To test the system yesterday, I installed ubuntu, and on a laptop.. I thought as much-it caused just as many issues as windows, lol. Not enough 3rd party support for my aging hardware. It failed to detect the laptop hardware correctly and install the correct drivers (most notably gfx) causing it to freeze upon some bootups and on every single 'restart'. A good operating system that still feels like in its fairly early to mid stages.. perhaps I expected too much but as a plus at least its not the malware creators system of choice at the moment. I think it will be a while before it can compete with purchasable software, but its good. For windows, I tried a few rootkit scanners before,including tdsskiller, but none found anything suspicious. I ran chkdsk not that long ago. Ram,cpu and hdd checking software found nothing questionable. I will keep an eye on the drive since its now 5 yrs to see how long it takes for bad sectors to appear in future.

I eventually gave in and reinstalled windows. It was probably in need of it anyway, perhaps some programs were conflicting. If it truly was malware, then Im surprised no rootkit check or avast were able to detect anything-aside from malwarebytes finding one registry change at hkeyclassesroot\regfile\open\command, in which the default entry was "regedit.exe" "%1" instead of regedit.exe "%1"

I have stuck with avast but am now trying out PrivateFirewall7 instead of ZA, which is very customizable and has registry protection pop ups also during installations,which might give me more of a clue as to what program was changing the above registry value. That registry 'issue' may have had nothing to do with the multi bsod, but if I receive another bsod in the next couple of days, then Ill surely have to put it down to age ... thanks :)

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

..or myself, when I attempted to use Realtemps built-in usage test. I need to remember my cpu was giving results of 100c whilst at 100% load. Whilst realtemp was giving incorrect results, they were still at least 20c less that the real value, likely at my cpus max temperature for safety according to the manufacturer, even if for a very short time. So theres still that possibility that I may have ruined this laptop, even if it was at a very high temp for 30 seconds or less. I await the 5th bsod :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added