We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Talktalk - not receiving email on Outlook 2003

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Set up a friends new laptop (W7) with Outlook 2003. Was working fine for a few days, but he has not received any mail since Monday. I set up a Teamviewer session with him today. There is mail in his inbox on webmail. When I click send/receive on Outlook, it processes the tasks OK, but no mail arrives. When I go into his account and hit the test settings button, all tests complete with a green tick.

Before I get him to suffer the pain of ringing TT, is there anything I've missed that I could try? Thanks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Odd - Does the test email arrive ok?

Suggest that there may be a setting in webmail but I don't use Talktalk so not sure.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No. The test email shows on the webmail, but doesn't arrive at the laptop. He has Avast, so wondering if that may be blocking somehow (but odd that all was well for a few days before this started). He's out for the rest of the afternoon.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It could well be the incoming settings. Needs to look at the advance settings and check port number and also worthwhile adjusting the server time out to around 3 - 4 minutes.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

OK thanks. I'll get onto that in the morning.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Why does he use TT for email? Is there a reason he has to? TT has a shocking record when it comes to keeping their email up and running. He would perhaps be far better off with a webmail service like Google which isn't dependent on his service provider remembering to pay the electricity bill!

And yes...I am a former TT customer!

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Just reread your original post and it isn't clear which email service he is using so I may have jumped the gun a little.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

xox - he's been using his Tiscali email address for years (now taken over by TT)and is reluctant to change (I did try to persuade him to go for a gmail address). The fact the emails are on the server does seem to point to something blocking them at the laptop end.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You could try an experiment to see if the laptop is causing a 'block'.

Use http://www.mail2web.com, then use the Tiscali username and password, but first check and use 'advanced security' for padlock safety on the opening homepage. This should transfer any email to the laptop, if it will accept them, if there is no 'block'. You should have a choice of how you want the emails displayed, if they transfer.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Something might be wrong with the link. Try mail2web.com or put the link into a Google search.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds - I'll give it a try when I set up a Teamviewer session later today.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...