We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CCTV advice on misting, please

Graham*
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a recently installed 1 camera system. I noticed at dusk the picture was affected by misting, see Snapshot.

Later the picture is clear, see Snapshot 2

The Installer changed the camera but the misting returned. Their reply to my email with the latest pictures is "The picture is not misting what you can see is the infra red lights reflecting, for the time of night the picture was taken this is completely normal."

So everyone gets this misting, then?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Depending on the type of camera and night specification, I would say the snapshot examples are about normal for night vision on an 'average' domestic system. Some cameras have demisting, others do not or not so good. The same with the luz factor and how many 'bulb' around the camera lense.

If you have an infra-red security type lamp installed, when activated you should get a far better picture and camera result of the area that's being illuminated, perhaps similar to a normal 'clear' day.

What's the picture results like, during the day?.

If you provide details of the camera or kit, then perhaps alan14 might be able to provide some answers?.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

View at noon today, no sun Snapshot 3

The camera is ADST30S70 or similar.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I have four Sony cameras, supposedly good. They vary individually from day to day depending on so many variables, natural light, artificial light from another source, their own IR, temperature and weather etc. Your snapshots look reasonable to me, I don't think you will get something that is good in all circumstances unless you pay a fortune for professional gear and that is not perfect. As long as I can see what is going on and record it then the quality does not matter too much within reason if it is just for security reasons.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think that snapshot 3 possibly proves the point I was making. If the area was illuminated at night, you may get a very similar result and possibly better than the other snapshots, depending on the light spread and wattage of the security light or lights, in the cover area of the camera.

The camera should have had an instruction and specification book, and that should tell you the necessary information as to the capabilities of the cctv at night and possibly day.

Another simple test you could try. A night, where there are dark areas (as per snapshot), shine a torch or vehicle light from those dark areas, and the cctv would most likely pick this light source up. This would then confirm the working area and capabilities of the cctv at night.

A 'domestic' cctv as no comparison to a 'professional' cctv, and this will show in purchase price.

Like this post  
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I'm inclined now to give the installers the benefit of the doubt.

I would at some stage wish to upgrade the camera; any suggestions, please>

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

All depends on your budget.

To get a good professional system, you might get a bargain from an auction or business closure.

But be warned, a professional security camera system might attract certain people who may think that you have a 'wealthy' lifestyle.

Personally (as per snapshots) I would consider installing a simple halogen pir floodlight (wattage and location depending on neighbours) for night use.

I am surprised the installers hadn't considered the suggestions made?.

Just to highlight the 'misting' problem, if an heater is part of the camera, then any misting would soon clear, if not, then the heater would probably have a fault. Considering that most camera parts are non-serviceable',then this would add further expense for replacement.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have attempted to look at your snapshots but receive a malicious website warning by NIS 2013. Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/grahamdeepwell/Snapshot-6_zpsc487a7fa.jpg

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

Exit this site"

Any comments from posters?

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Ignore the warning, it's Photobucket, been using it for years.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have used Photobucket also for some considerable time but this is the first occasion that I have had this warning.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

cold weather on lens plus heat from bulb when it turns on equates to condensation until heat from bulb dries it up

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......