We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Safely remove hardware icon shows Local Disc C drive

Sparkly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all i have added a new hard drive to my desktop for storage of music etc and to fit it i had to unplug the sata cable from my (C) drive on the motherboard, after putting everything back as it was and the new drive was initiated and formatted i noticed on the taskbar the Safely remove hardware icon lists the C drive, not a big deal but more of an annoyance could anyone explain this or how to stop it showing?

On another matter when i installed the 3TB drive after it was formatted it shows 2.72TB free so i lost 280gig to the format is this correct as i thought that it was a lot to lose. Appriciate any comments.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have a look in 'Disk Management' (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management) and see what the drive is listed as under 'Properties'. It should be listed as 'Performance'.

Another source of help may be a Microsoft Document you can download.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

On another matter when i installed the 3TB drive after it was formatted it shows 2.72TB free so i lost 280gig to the format is this correct as i thought that it was a lot to lose.

Yes it is right as 7% of the all storage space is used by the file system. Just to make it a bit more interesting.

Giga = 1000MB

Gibi = 1024MB

Hard drive manufacturers use the proper prefix. It's just confusing when everything else uses the now incorrect prefix because it used to be proper.

For example if you had a 1GB HDD it would be 1,000,000,000 bytes. To convert it to the binary version of a gigabyte (gibibyte) (the one you're used to) you have to take the bytes and divide it by the binary equivalent. (1024 ^ 3 or 2 ^ 30). You'll get the difference. So 1,000,000,000 / (2 ^ 30) = 0.931322574615478515625. So for each GB you can take that off.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi johndrew its the (C) drive operating system, properties show Loal disc NTFS. In disc managment it says C Heathy Boot (page file crash dump,primary partion) Meant to add W7 Ultimate. Thanks

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos the 2nd thought it would be correct just thought it was a lot. Thanks for the reply.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If you feel confident in going into the Registry This Fix should resolve the problem. It disables the removable hardware facility for the drive.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi again johndrew took a look in the registry folled the instructions to HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvata but no nvata listed there. Thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I found a free little app that removes the Safely Remove Hardware Icon from the sys tray.

Icon remover.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos the 2nd but i have now got it sorted, i took a look in the bios and under the sata configuration the 3TB drive HotPlug cable had been set to enabled looking at the rest they were all disabled so i disabled that one allso. Safely remove hardware icon has now dissapeared unless i plug something in now. Thanks for your help and allso johndrew. Sorted.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers