We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 64-bit graphics start-up problems

tallboy

Likes # 0

Periodically, when I start up my PC I have white bars across the log-in screen. When I try to re-start it, more often than not, I get rows of =========== all over the screen including over the MS DOS start-up text.

After several attempts to start the PC, if it does start up it can run for a while and then white bars appear again, usually this time with lots of small white squares as well. This is usually followed a few seconds later by the screen becoming a mass of tiny coloured squares.

Is the problem caused by a virus or malware? I regularly run Super Antispyware professional and Kaspersky One is running all the time.

How do I fix it?

On a separate post regarding failure to connect to the System Notification Service after running 'netsh winsock reset' in Safe Mode (reply courtesy of Jock1e) the graphics problem hasn't shown up. (So far). Are the two problems connected? (The problem hasn't shown up in Safe Mode.)

Solutions gratefully received.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You could have bad contact between your graphics card(s) and motherboard. I suggest you disconnect from the mains supply. open your PC and remove/refit the card(s).

If this fails it may be the graphics driver either broken or needing upgrading.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the quick response johndrew. I removed / replaced (after cleaning the contacts) the graphics card a few weeks ago for a different problem, so I doubt if it was that. However, it could be the card's driver. I'll endeavour to get an update for that.

Interestingly, since I posted my earlier request for help, the problem occurred again - this time in SAFE MODE as well. I continued in SAFE MODE, started up the Command window, entered 'netsh winsock reset' and after restarting the PC (following a successful restart of winsock) the problem went away again.

I can't see a connecting between the graphics functions & winsock ( but may be there is). However all is working OK at present. (I'm posting this message from said PC.)

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The type of display you indicate is often associated with graphics card memory becoming corrupted during loading of a screen. This can be caused by either bad contacts or drivers. The only other cause I know of is a failing card unless there is a fault with the screen or its cable - these are less likely.

Was the problem present before you removed the graphics card a few weeks ago and did you ensure antistatic safety when this was done? When you refitted the card did you ensure the contact surfaces were clean - a wipe with a clean tissue even?

It is not unusual for a restart to clear this type of problem temporarily if good contact is in a marginal state or the memory has become 'confused' during boot.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for your comments johndrew. No, the problem wasn't present before I removed the graphics card and yes, I did use an anti-static earthed wrist strap.

Since my earlier post I switched the PC off. When I booted up this time, Windows automatically scheduled a disk check (presumably this checks all the disk sectors at the lowest level) which it does periodically. It threw up loads of errors - which it subsequently corrected. The problem could therefore simply be caused by the PC writing to some bad disk sectors.

Only time will tell. If it doesn't re-occur in the next 2-3 days, I'll assume that this was the cause of the problem. If it does re-occur, I'll go down the road of installing a more up-to-date graphics driver and (if need be) taking out the graphics cards again and re-cleaning the gold contacts.

Like this post
triustech12

Likes # 0

It's may be the bad connection between graphic and motherboard.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

You could well be right triustech12. If it happens again, I'll take out the graphics card, clean the edge connectors and re-insert it in the motherboard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room