We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who has taken my email address book?

RISC OS user

Likes # 0

This evening I found a large number of rejected emails which appeared to have been sent by my main Yahoo email account to various names in my address book there were also some addressed to my other emails accounts which are also listed in my Thunderbird address book. I have run "House Call" which reports "no threats", I also ran "spybot" after updating it and it reported the following "adviva", "Casalemedia", "Doubleclick", "Flastclick", MediaPlex", "statcounter" and "Web Trends Live" They all appear to have come in via Chrome. (17 in all). I do not usually use Chrome, but this after noon I thought I would give it a try, my prefered browser is Firefox 18.02 Is there a real problem with Chrome and what do you think has caused my email problems? I am using Windows 7, fully updated, along with ZoneAlarm (Free)ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 11.0.000.038 Vsmon version: 11.0.000.038 Driver version: 11.0.000.026 Antivirus engine version: 8.2.11.97 Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1111911520 Web Identity Protections version: 1.5.393.22 My next move is to run a ZoneAlarm Scan.

Is there anything else I can do to protect my PC

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Your email has been compromised, who knows by whom, but it happens regularly.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Oh, and BTW you only see the tip of the iceberg, the emails which don't get rejected - you don't know about.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Change your yahoo password immediately and any other email account passwords too.

They could be spoof emails that appear to come from you and it is possible that a spammer has obtained details of who you send e-mails to.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As per Woolwell says, change your passwords login on Webmail servers.

Is your email POP or IMAP ?

Is your address book kept on Webmail server or is it only on your pc?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Also check your contacts to make sure that you do not have a contact that you don't know about and should not be there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback