We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

changing from Windows XP to Windows 7

pomerian

Likes # 0

I am updating my Windows XP 64 bit Proffesional to Windows 7 is there any way of transfering files ,address book , my documents , and Pictures from the old system to the new as I understand you have to do a clean install of windows 7and it will wipe all my old files.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Does this help?

Failing that: I have now changed PCs so often, I've written a checklist of things not to forget to do. While transferring your data files - documents, images, music and so on - is pretty obvious, ensuring you transfer files from other applications (in my case, for example, MS Money) is less so. Backing up your .pst files (if you're an Outlook user) is pretty vital, as is backing up your bookmarks/favourites.

I also have a long list of software I need to remember to reinstall (if you've never used it, check out www.ninite.com - absolutely brilliant timesaver). I also have a note of my email settings.

The other thing, of course, to make sure you have is drivers. Of course, those may be different for W7 (I've only ever moved from one XP machine to another.

How much of the above the files/settings transfer wizard takes care of, I don't know. I should have tried it, but never have. It might have saved me the hassle of having to go through Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and so on and setting them up again like they were before.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

In another thread the other day you mentioned an old tower PC with a battery problem.

Have you checked that the spec of your XP computer can run W7 to a satisfactory level?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

You could also try windows 7 easy transfer . its very easy to set up and use . I just used my flash drive . transfer took about 15 mins in total .

Like this post
pomerian

Likes # 0

To Bremner This is another computer used by my Daughter battery change was OK Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...