We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on an all-round PC first build

thehereticmonkey

Likes # 0

I’m doing my first PC build and I've been using this site to guide me. I'm looking for some final advice with my build as I thought it best to check that everything is compatible and if there’s anywhere I’ve overspent as it’s really stretching my budget at £880.

I’m aiming for a good all round desktop that is quick, responsive and reliable. I’ll be leaving it on 24/7 days at a time for downloading and streaming to the TV/Xbox. So I’m also wanting it to be quiet and energy efficient.

Only gaming I’ll be doing will be games I can’t get on Xbox i.e. Civ 5, Starcraft 2, SimCity 2013…

I won’t be over-clocking it initially but I may in the future so it’d be nice to have the room to do so.

Also I assume I won't need a wireless card if my PC will be connected to the router.

The build is:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k HDD: Seagate 2TB SATA III 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM HDD SSD: Samsung 250GB 840 Series Basic SSD

GPU: XFX Core Edition Radeon HD 7850 AMD 2GB OR MSI HD7850 OC AMD/ATI 2GB (Torn between these two GPUs so any recommendations are good)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 Ivybridge Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Dual PSU: XFX Pro Series Core Edition P1-550S-UKB9 550W PSU DVD Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSMS Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Monitor: 21.5" AOC E2250SWDAK LED OS: Windows 7 64-bit

Cheers!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days