We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Noisy computer or maybe fan

graham12

Likes # 0

Morning all this morning I switched my computer on to be greeted with a very load noise my first thought was that it might be the fan, upon inspection I noticed a lot of dust had built up so this was quickly cleaned.

I then tried starting again only to be greeted with the same noise so this time I took out the fan to give it a good claen as there was quite a lot of dust.

after putting the fan back into computer it will not start, so my question is will the computer switch on if the fan is broken or could it be something else altogther.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You do not state which fan it was but if it was just a case fan then it will have no bearing ion whether your PC will start or not. If it was the fan on top of the heat-sink covering your processor then yes it will probably stop the PC starting if it was not reinstalled correctly or plugged in to the correct header on the motherboard.

If you have a noise in your PC then remove the side and try and listen to where the sound is coming from. You have done the right thing by removing the build up of dust but in doing so you might have knocked another connection so try every cable in your PC and make sure that they are all seated correctly. Also make sure you have not dislodged a component such as your memory (RAM).

If it still does not work we will have to think of other causes.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Last time I had the Heatsink Fan off, I accidentally pinched one of its wires under the Mounting when I screwed it back. (the Screw Thread stripped the insulation off it)

I was lucky, I only shorted out the Motor which was easily, and cheaply, replaced.

Like this post
graham12

Likes # 0

I have rechecked all connections and have managed to get computer to start but upon starting I got the message computer unable to start, so got the message do you want to start repair which it is know doing but so far nothing has happened.

Just got message windows unable to repair this computer automatically, what is my best option as its given me a list from startup repair to recovery management these are all in system recovery options

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You still have not mention what fan you removed?

What operating system are you using?

Like this post
graham12

Likes # 0

its windows 7 and the fan seems to be working ok, my problem now is that windows is not starting and have got the system recovery options screen up so am wondering do I start a complete windows reinstall or is there something else that I should do

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Going on the report, it would appear that the fan was the first consideration or culprit and perhaps not the hard-drive. Considering that the computer will no longer start, could the hard-drive be at fault?.

You could do a simple test on the fan, using a ordinary low voltage dc battery.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry you obviously do not understand my question. Was it a case fan or the fan on top of your processor?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do the start up repair a few more times (often works at 3rd or forth attempt) do not give up on start up repair until run at least 5 times.

Like this post
graham12

Likes # 0

Thanks all have managed to get computer to work all is fine except that when trying to download a file or program it takes forever where as before I could download a large file within a couple minutes the same file is now taken over 15 minutes so not sure what is wrong.

I am with virgin media and have a download speed up to 30mb

Like this post
graham12

Likes # 0

I am downloading a file size 313mb and speed is 527kb/sec

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...