We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows fails to connect to System Event Notification Service

tallboy

Likes # 0

For some reason, I am now getting pop-up messages when I start up saying 'Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service' and that 'This problem prevents standard users logging on to the System'. At the same time, I notice that the tray bar at the bottom of the screen comes up in a light grey colour rather than it's normal darkish grey.

What's going on and how do I fix it?

Suggestions gratefully received.

Tallboy

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Found this on Google not sure if it fixes your problem or not.

Try this...

Start computer in safe mode.

logon on to administrator.

Click the start button

Search "cmd.exe"

Select it and then "ctrl - shift - enter" to allow elevation request

Type in - "netsh winsock reset" press enter

Then Restart your computer

Now that was for Vista.Not sure if you are saying that you only get this problem using PCA If so ignore my post.

Like this post
Newuser4165

Likes # 0

I had an identical problem just before Christmas on my Win7 pc.I fixed my problem bysetting the pc to normal startup rather than selective startup. Run msconfig from start menu and select normal startup.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies Jock1e & Newuser4165. I should have said that I'm running 64-bit Win7. I ran msconfig and found that the PC is already set to 'normal startup.

Does your suggestion Jock1e also apply to Win 7? If so, I'll give that a try.

I've also noticed another annoying problem (which doesn't always occur) and that is on some action windows the places where there are 'buttons' that ask for action are showing random & mixed colours rather than the text that should be there. The buttons still appear to work (if you already know what the text is). Any ideas how to fix that?

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

The fix for Vista seems to have worked OK for Windows 7 as well. Thanks for the post Jock1e

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Thanks for letting us know and glad it worked ok for you.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I came across this on an Acer laptop and it prevented connection to the internet, wired or wireless.

Acer suggested restoring to factory defaults settings - but a system restore to the day before the problem occurred has fixed it for now. We are monitoring updates carefully in case it re occurs.

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Interesting feedback jollyjohn.

Also see my post 'Windows 7 64-bit graphics start-up problems' I can't see any connection between the graphics problems I'm having & winsock, but it's strange that when I have run Jock1e's solution (which I have done a couple of times now) the graphics problem has gone away.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen