We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless connect problem

Blubottle
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I have a home wireless network already running and I am trying to add another pc but it cannot see my network, This additional pc is XP pro with a wireless dongle, when It look's at networks it sees all the surrounding networks but mine is not listed, for set up purposes it is in the same room and within 2 foot of the router,!!. help please

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe turn the router off for 10 seconds then restart it and see if that helps.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is the SSID being broadcast?

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Yes SSID is being broadcasted my ipad picks it up ok.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Changed channel?

Is the router broadcasting b, g and n? It is possible that the dongle cannot pick up n but I would have thought that it would still have seen the SSID.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

FWIW, I had a wireless dongle just arbitrarily give up on me a couple of weeks back. It was a bit mystifying to start with, but fortunately I had another lying around to identify the problem. For a fiver, I don't expect them to last forever.

Like this post
Blubottle

Likes # 0

Hi, Thanks for all your ideas which I have tried, what is puzzling me and has prompted me to ask this Q is that the network list sees networks around me that are in range but not mine, perhaps I need to buy another dongle,

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 1

Go into the router settings and turn off all wireless security. Make it "Open". Then check to see if the PC sees the network. If it does then it is something to do with the type of encryption you have selected in the router. Your new dongle may not support it. Turn the security in the router on again as soon as possible.

Also make sure your SSID is showing as visible and the router is set to a UK channel ie 1 to 11.

If all this fails try connecting the PC to the router by cable and then looking for an update to the dongles drivers.

XP is Service Pack 3? There was an issue a few years ago where XP needed a hotfix to bring it up to date with the latest wireless encryption. Service Pack 3 includes this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks