We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hosting recommendation

Malli_Na

Likes # 0

Hello to all! Help me a little bit, please :)

What hosting/cloud companies do you recommend to host an application built with Ruby on Rails? It will replace an application based on LAMP stack that has around 100k visitors per day. I don't want to use things like Heroku since that would link me too much to that provider and I had difficulties in the past with this. I have some basic linux knowledge but I would not call myself a sysadmin.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Ruby comes with a built in server WEBrick, though I have zero knowledge as to how it's set-up or indeed, how reliable it is. My understanding is, WEBrick can be run on a Linux or Windows server.

You'll need to contact various hosts and make sure their servers can accommodate an application written in Ruby on Rails. It will almost certainly be a Linux based host server.

I suspect you will find more than you think, as Ruby on Rails is becoming a very popular language. The only question mark, is whether your selected host has loaded the appropriate packages to run Ruby on Rails.

You can also run it on an existing LAMP stack, providing the Phusion Passenger module has been installed in Apache2 and as already mentioned, the appropriate packages.

The alternative is to rent your own virtual server and you can set it up how you like.

Like this post
Malli_Na

Likes # 0

Thanks for your kind reply. I'll try to start with Amazon and see if I can figure out how to use it. The closest DC seems to be in Dublin so we should be ok. I'll probably setup mod_rails (Passenger) as it will be running in Apache which I know a little bit. The trouble is I have no idea how much it would cost me to run there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...