We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Creating wifi for Grandkids?

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a small ethernet wired system (3 PC + a printer) through a non wi-fi router/modem. My grandchildren have laptops which thay connect, at home, through wifi. I would like to have a set up they can use, for homework etc. when they visit.

If I replace my existing modem/router with an ADSL wifi one, connect my existing network through cable, do I need to do anything else for their laptops to be able to see the wifi router?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The alternative is to retain your existing "wired" router and plug a separate Wireless Access Point, such as the Apple Airport Express, into it. This will provide wireless access in both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands (simultaneously). Additionally, it supports "Airplay" so that sound can be played "wirelessly" to a set of speakers connected to it.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

rdav13

All understood, thanks again.

mgmcc

Did have a look at those previously but a tad expensive compared to a router/modem (albeit just 2.4Ghz) at £40 (approx). Thanks for your time anyway.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I'm sure that there are Access Points available for even less than £40!

Like this post
abacus99

Likes # 0

How to Connect to WiFi networks:

With your laptop turned on and booted up to the , and at a ready state. Look in the lower right-hand corner of your screen next to the date and time. This is where the wireless Internet signal connection manager icon is located.

STEPS: Using your mouse, click on the wireless signal connection manager to open the "Available Networks" dialog box.

Displaying here is all the nearby wireless Internet for laptop connections your is detecting in your immediate area.

Click on the network name or SSID of your wireless home network, and then on the "Connect" button.

If your wireless network has a "Security Key" or "Passphrase" set, you'll need to enter it here, and click on "OK" to connect.

Once your laptop has been connected to a Wi-Fi network the wireless Internet laptop connection settings are stored away in the network portion of your , and you don’t really give them much thought anymore.

Hope this helps you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback