We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Creating wifi for Grandkids?

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a small ethernet wired system (3 PC + a printer) through a non wi-fi router/modem. My grandchildren have laptops which thay connect, at home, through wifi. I would like to have a set up they can use, for homework etc. when they visit.

If I replace my existing modem/router with an ADSL wifi one, connect my existing network through cable, do I need to do anything else for their laptops to be able to see the wifi router?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It should be straightforward. It is advisable to connect the laptops first by ethernet. When a connection has been established. Disconnect this, right click on the network icon in the system tray, bottom right of screen, there should be a list of available networks to join, click on the one you want, connect, you will then have to add the router password.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

difarn

Thanks for that, waited before replying in case anyone else popped in. I take it that the wifi part of the router will have no impact, security wise, on the cabled part of my system?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

csqwared

The WiFi will be or should be password protected, that's why you will have to enter the password to connect.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

When you get your router it will come with a password. This is the password you will be asked to enter when you set up the wifi connection. There will not be any impact security wise on your ethernet connections because it will be password protected.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Thanks for that folks - now need to go shopping!!

Like this post  
SillBill

Likes # 0

csqwared - don't forget to get one with sufficient Ethernet sockets for your other computers!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Am I missing something here? I'm with an ISP that you can use your own router. I believe the likes of Sky and BT supply 'tied' routers. Hence the router comes with password and key.

If not with a 'tied' to ISP router then it will need to be configured. Your log on name and password to the ISP and then configure your wireless connection consisting of your preferred SSID, type of encryption and the encryption key. Making sure the SSID is broadcasting. Once set up there's no need to connect the laptops to the router but search for Wi-Fi connections and connecting to your SSID using the correct encryption type and the key.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should have also said you need the values to VPI, VCI, WAN link type and Encapsulation mode with your name and password, to connect to your ISP. All this information you can get from your ISP if you do not already have it.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks for that. It is indeed an 'untied' (ethernet) router and I went through all the procedures you list when I first installed it. Can I take it that the procedures you mention are carried out on my new wifi router via the ethernet connection and then the laptops will 'search' for the router, find it and then I need to use the password?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes. Set up the router, via ethernet, logging in through a browser. When the laptops are there you can click on the wireless icon in the notification area of the laptops, and you will get a list of available connections. Select the SSID you've set up in the router and enter the relevant info.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...