We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC does not find Driver update on USB

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to update Ralink 802.11g PCI Wireless Network card for an XP PC I got the download on a USB (XP PC cannot connect to internet) I have the download on XP PC desktop as a cabinet file, but I also left the USB in PC and asked the PC to update the driver from the USB, I get the Hardware update window and select Install from a specific location, then I select Search removable media (CD ROM)then next, the wizard says "Cannot find better software than the one you have installed" but the driver is 2006,

The reason I'm trying to update is this PC cannot find an IP address therefore cannot access the internet even when hard wired. Also there is no "Local area connection" showing in Network widow.

Can anyone help please.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Woodchip

I have taken the wireless adapter out, To be honest I had forgotten it was in there it is so tiny Id not noticed it,I can do without this now as I have bought adapter power plugs, On boot up the PC starts hardware wizard for multimedia controller but cannot find it.

So the situation is under Other Devices I have, Multimedia and Unknown device with yellow question marks.

PC running great right now.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The multimedia device that you still have a yellow triangle is, I suspect, the card reader in your PC. The unknown device is a little harder to pinpoint I would just disable it in device manager for the time being.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronus the 2nd I don't use card reader so I'm not worried about that, can it cause any running problems?, same question for Unknown Device.

This PC is a spare one we don't use it daily but we boot it up often to keep it updated.

Will disable "unknown device now"

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you don't use the Card reader then disable that also that will at least remove the yellow triangles and will have no detrimental effect of the PC. Some with the Unknown device.

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need the Sound Drivers Loading, look in Partition D:\ for the Sound Drivers Folder

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

woodchip

Just looked back here and saw the post, I cannot get back to the PC for a while now but I will do as you say soon, can you say what do I need to do there, or will it be better to wait until I have access? PC is standing in reserve right now but was working great yesterday before I unplugged it all (to set up regular PC).

Great help and advice received here....thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014