We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC does not find Driver update on USB

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to update Ralink 802.11g PCI Wireless Network card for an XP PC I got the download on a USB (XP PC cannot connect to internet) I have the download on XP PC desktop as a cabinet file, but I also left the USB in PC and asked the PC to update the driver from the USB, I get the Hardware update window and select Install from a specific location, then I select Search removable media (CD ROM)then next, the wizard says "Cannot find better software than the one you have installed" but the driver is 2006,

The reason I'm trying to update is this PC cannot find an IP address therefore cannot access the internet even when hard wired. Also there is no "Local area connection" showing in Network widow.

Can anyone help please.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks guys

Just caught this before I go out of the door, will follow up later.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Hi back again,

I got the support disk, inserted into drive changed boot sequence, saved the changes but the PC just booted as normal, tried this twice.

What am I doing wrong?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The support disk is not a bootable disk, it is just a disk full of drivers for your PC. Boot to the desktop then use the disk.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronus the 2nd I did as you said everything went fine,I tried updating driver again but same thing happens and the yellow question marks are still in device manager they are under "Other devices" first one is 802.11 WLAN, then Multimedia controller, then Unknown device.

A strange thing is the wireless icon in the task bar has a little yellow ball circulating the PC monitor icon, when I hover the mouse over I get "Status... validating identity" When I first rebooted PC and went to the wireless connection it said "Widows cannot find certificate to validate identity" however the internet is still working fine.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said you need to remove the yellow before doing the Drive update

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

woodchip

I removed the yellow icons tried again but no luck

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

what usb have you got connected to the pc, can you remove all first, then remove yellow icons. reboot and see what it tries to load. then after its booted check device manager to see what its loaded with regards to usb if no icons plug usb in one at a time till you find the one that needs drivers

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

woodchip

Keyboard, mouse, and a mini wireless adapter attached the PC with usb . On reboot the hardware wizard appears,

I plug mouse back in now so I can look in device manager, in device manager there are two yellow question marks , multimedia and unknown I let hardware wizard try to find software but it does not find it.

I insert mini USB wireless adapter no change in device manager but same message when I try update, I plug in keyboard same situation as for the USB mini adapter.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Ill get back here tomorrow

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You should have a CD for the USB wireless adapter

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia