We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC does not find Driver update on USB

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to update Ralink 802.11g PCI Wireless Network card for an XP PC I got the download on a USB (XP PC cannot connect to internet) I have the download on XP PC desktop as a cabinet file, but I also left the USB in PC and asked the PC to update the driver from the USB, I get the Hardware update window and select Install from a specific location, then I select Search removable media (CD ROM)then next, the wizard says "Cannot find better software than the one you have installed" but the driver is 2006,

The reason I'm trying to update is this PC cannot find an IP address therefore cannot access the internet even when hard wired. Also there is no "Local area connection" showing in Network widow.

Can anyone help please.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

I downloaded wlan rt 2500 usb.exe onto usb put usb into PC in question, did the update and got message update was successful, but PC still cant go online it is continually "Aquiring IP address" Im afraid Im going to have to give up on this, sorry to have wasted your time all, but it seems to be beyond my very limited abilities.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Hetti you limited abilities and our help have solved some of your problems before now - when you've solve this one your abilites will be that little less limited :0)

so don't give up

1.Open Network Connections

2.Click the icon for the adapter that connects this computer to the Internet or to other network computers.

3.Under Network Tasks, click Repair this connection.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\ Thanks for the kind words/encouragement, I will do as you say but it will need to be tomorrow sometime as I cannot get back on that PC right now. Your right of course I should not give up, so as you say I will carry on when I get the chance. Once again thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Do you still have the various yellow triangles in device manager as you seem not to follow up suggestions or answer questions. We are still awaiting the 8 digit msn number from the label on back of tower which Lotvic asked for in his 4:51 post yesterday afternoon.

If we knew exactly the computer you are trying to repair it would make it easier to give advice.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\ I did as you said "repair network connections" it ran for about 20 mins then gave message "Widows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed..Renewing your IP address.There are two wireless connections showing in "Network Connections" one is called Wireless connection 3 RI250 LSB wireless lan card, the other is Wireless connection 2...802.11g PCI Wireless network adapter, these two try alternately to find IP address this is even without me asking them to, there is also a icon in there called 1394 connection, and beneath that it says "connected, firewalled.

Chronos the 2nd So sorry I thought I had to enter the msn nuber:>( here it is ...10006485.

Yes I do have the yellow question marks in Device manager, sorry for the confusion Iam getting old lol

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have just entered the number into Lotvic's link. Medion

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have just entered the number (10006485) into Lotvic's link. Medion and all you PC's drivers pop up. If you click on the first in the list Support CD syst this will allow you to download every driver needed by your PC to function correctly.

I would download this to a USB then copy it to the XP PC then extract it there. You should then be able to get rid of the yellow triangles by installing the missing drivers.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

WOW Guys it worked today, I tried to install the "wlan rt 2500 usb" that I downloaded yesterday and it has worked now, I don't know why I don't think I did anything different, but it is fine just now. I don't know if you think I need to anything else , but I'm so pleased with the help you all gave me. I will get back here late afternoon just to check If I need to do anything else.

THANKS

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

But if you still have yellow triangles in Device Manager then you are likely to get further problems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Download and burn then run the support CD first on list

That should sort out all the yellow marks in device manager.

Unplug the router then plug back in, run IE and if it fails to connect run Network diagnostics when completed close Network Diagnostics and IE

open IE again and it should connect to the internet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers