We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC does not find Driver update on USB

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to update Ralink 802.11g PCI Wireless Network card for an XP PC I got the download on a USB (XP PC cannot connect to internet) I have the download on XP PC desktop as a cabinet file, but I also left the USB in PC and asked the PC to update the driver from the USB, I get the Hardware update window and select Install from a specific location, then I select Search removable media (CD ROM)then next, the wizard says "Cannot find better software than the one you have installed" but the driver is 2006,

The reason I'm trying to update is this PC cannot find an IP address therefore cannot access the internet even when hard wired. Also there is no "Local area connection" showing in Network widow.

Can anyone help please.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronos I went to device manager then computer beneath that it says ACPI Multiprocessor, is that the right one?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Chronos I went to device manager then computer beneath that it says ACPI Multiprocessor, is that the right one?

Don't understand your question I am sorry to say.If it relates to my question concerning your motherboard then no. If you install SIW scroll down to the free/home edition.This will tell you all you need to know about your components.After install,run then click on motherboard on the left hand side which will provide the required info.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

In device manager under Computer there is ACPI Multiprocessor PC listed is that what you need to know?

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronos Yes it was concerning my motherboard, I dont have Belarc or similar on this PC, is there a way to find out my info or will I need to download Belarc on USB from this PC then put it on to PC in question?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I posted a link to SIW 3 posts above this.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

PS I see under processors Intel (R) Pentium(R) $ CPU 3.20Ghz listed twice , is that it?sorry Im not very good at this

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Nope thats the processor.You need something like SIW or Belarc to give you the necessary detailed info. Just download one of them to a USB drive then install on the XP PC.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronos I looked at SIW thanks I will need to use USB as I said then put it on old PC, Can I ask if a system repair or reinstall would help this problem?

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronos I got that it is MICRO STAR INTERNATIONAL CO LTD, model M57091

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

No,most people forget that a reinstall of Windows XP does not install the drivers necessary for the PC to function correctly. Whereas Windows 7 does come with lots of drivers bundled with it it is still necessary to run the driver disk that comes with a motherboard. XP comes with very few drivers and can be quite tricky as time goes on to find the correct drivers from makers website.

So we really need to know what motherboard your PC has.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......