We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC does not find Driver update on USB

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to update Ralink 802.11g PCI Wireless Network card for an XP PC I got the download on a USB (XP PC cannot connect to internet) I have the download on XP PC desktop as a cabinet file, but I also left the USB in PC and asked the PC to update the driver from the USB, I get the Hardware update window and select Install from a specific location, then I select Search removable media (CD ROM)then next, the wizard says "Cannot find better software than the one you have installed" but the driver is 2006,

The reason I'm trying to update is this PC cannot find an IP address therefore cannot access the internet even when hard wired. Also there is no "Local area connection" showing in Network widow.

Can anyone help please.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I am having a bad day today I should of asked make and model of PC rather than motherboard. As most of the people i deal with build there own I tend to think that everyone does.

Fruitbat links to the Medion website but to go a little further we would need model number as there does not appear to be a 8836.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

I got as far as clicking R for repair, but its now asking for admin password, to my knowledge we have never had a password on here, how do I proceed?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

try enter key

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Don't you do not need to do a repair of XP it will not change anything as far as drivers are concerned.

We need you Medion model number? to get correct chipset drivers to sort out your ethernet card multimedia and wireless card drivers.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

when I ckick enter there is a long list of Specific commands, I think Im supposed to select one of these they are alphabetically listed but Im not sure which I supposed to choose ATTRIB BATCH BOOTCFG CD CHDIR CHKDSK CLS COPY iF YOU NEED TO KNOW MORE i WILL CONTINUE FROM THERE

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As Fruitbat says do not do this as it will not solve your driver issue.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said if its a Medion she should have the drivers on D:\ I have two Medions a Desktop and Laptop and that is where all the drivers are in a Folder unless they have been deleted

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

There should be a label on the back of the tower with the model number and serial number of pc. It should be just above the coa sticker.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Okay Model is PC MT7

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can download drivers from http://www.medion.com/gb/service/download/driver.php

you need your 8 digit msn number from the label on back of tower, here is pic of label and which number

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback