We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC does not find Driver update on USB

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to update Ralink 802.11g PCI Wireless Network card for an XP PC I got the download on a USB (XP PC cannot connect to internet) I have the download on XP PC desktop as a cabinet file, but I also left the USB in PC and asked the PC to update the driver from the USB, I get the Hardware update window and select Install from a specific location, then I select Search removable media (CD ROM)then next, the wizard says "Cannot find better software than the one you have installed" but the driver is 2006,

The reason I'm trying to update is this PC cannot find an IP address therefore cannot access the internet even when hard wired. Also there is no "Local area connection" showing in Network widow.

Can anyone help please.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is this a Medion notebook or desktop PC?

if so you should have a driver disk with it or a seoerate partion with the drivers on.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronos Is that the correct info?

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat It is a Desktop, I will look for disk with drivers on, it should be there.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Chronus your link to SIW doesn't work, I think that's causing the confusion.

free SIW Portable download from this link download.cnet.com/SIW-Portable you can run it from your usb flash drive, no need to install.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above Medion Computer have a Driver folder on may be D:\Partition but you need to uninstall all yellow icons in Device Manager before you try other things

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry for the dab link,because of the problems we live with on the PCA website I usually test my links before posting., though Googling SIW will get you there. But I will try again. SIW tested and working.The free/home version is all you need.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Okay I got the SIW downloaded and says the motherboard is Micro- star International Co Ltd, model M5-7091.

I cannot find XP disc only one I have is the Windows XP Home edition disk (the hologram one)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

IF its XP Home on the PC you can use the one you have to do a repair, by booting with the cd in the drive then choose setup, let windows do its check for a operating system then click on the one it finds and then press R for repair

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Medion model no? 8836?

Divers can be found medion">http://www.medion.com/gb/service/start/_product.php?msn=10006713&gid=2">medion uk make sure you download for the correct version of xp 32bit or 64bit

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Lets try that link again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks