We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PC does not find Driver update on USB

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need to update Ralink 802.11g PCI Wireless Network card for an XP PC I got the download on a USB (XP PC cannot connect to internet) I have the download on XP PC desktop as a cabinet file, but I also left the USB in PC and asked the PC to update the driver from the USB, I get the Hardware update window and select Install from a specific location, then I select Search removable media (CD ROM)then next, the wizard says "Cannot find better software than the one you have installed" but the driver is 2006,

The reason I'm trying to update is this PC cannot find an IP address therefore cannot access the internet even when hard wired. Also there is no "Local area connection" showing in Network widow.

Can anyone help please.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have you tried unistalling the current driver in Device Manager before pointing windows in the direction of the driver on the USB stick?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Search removable media in XP only refers to a CD / DVD drive therefore you need to browse to the USB drive and folder and to get XP to look there for the driver .inf file

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

For USB you need SP2 and SP3 loading

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS if you load the above you do not need to look for windows drivers, you will only need drivers for specific hardware that's loaded like may be a Camera or phone etc;

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Chronos I have not tried uninstalling driver first, I was reluctant as Im not very techie and was worried i might make things worse (if that's possible)will do so after this post if you think it might help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\

In device manager I select 802.11 WLAN > update driver>install from selected location >USB is L:/ so I select that> get the wizard saying could not find software on your PC.

I did wonder if i have downloaded the wrong driver there was two too choose from on Softpedia, would this cause this to happen?

Can I add, in device manager there are four yellow question marks under other devices they are listed 1 to 4 1.802.11wlan (if i look at properties in this it says "The drivers for this device are not installed on your computer and Im given the option to Reinstall drivers I try to install driver from here and the exact same thing happens as described above", 2. ethernet controller, 3 media controller
4. unknown device.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

woodchip Posted my last reply before I saw your post.

How do i get the SP2 and SP3 loading? and how will it help me?

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

woodchip I get it it is service pack 2 and 3 OKAY? I dont know if it is installed, if not then Im unable to get it as I cannot go online... how do I see if it is installed?

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

PS Found it PC has SP3 installed

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

PS I have the XP disc would a reinstall windows help?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If the network card does not work with the current driver then uninstalling it will not make the slightest difference,as it will still not work.

Do you know what the motherboard is? As it sounds as though you need to install chipset drivers. If you know what motherboard you have it should be pretty simple to find and download the necessary drivers,he types with fingers crossed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings