We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot-up problem

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

Strange I've tried posting the following problem, but with UEIF Boot Problem as the title I get the we think this is spam.

UEFI boot problem

My new build is all of a sudden giving me problems at boot-up, it's not seeing my 'C' . If I go into UEFI setup the Western 500Gb sata3 I use as 'C' drive is recognised in the Storage Configuration, but is not shown in the boot screen.

To overcome the problem at the moment pressing F11 will give me the option to choose which disk to boot from. I must admit to being totally out of my depth with the UEIF setup. So any help would be appreciated.

Asrock P67 Pro motherboard

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I have to confess I don't know anything about UEIF but you could take a look at this link to see if it helps enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Well I have discovered what EUIF is -

Q: What is UEFI? A: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) will be a specification detailing an interface that helps hand off control of the system for the pre-boot environment (i.e.: after the system is powered on, but before the operating system starts) to an operating system, such as Windows* or Linux*. UEFI will provide a clean interface between operating systems and platform firmware at boot time, and will support an architecture-independent mechanism for initializing add-in cards.

But I am still non the wiser.

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

Have you tried disabling UEFI in bios settings? This will allow your system to use the motherboard's regular bios. UEFI can be very tricky to configure correctly. (No, I don't really understand it either)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As it not a Mac, you will have a x86_64 (64-bit) UEFI 2.x firmware.

UEFI uses a special partition in the partition table called "EFI SYSTEM PARTITION" in which files required to be launched by the firmware are stored. Each vendor can store its files under /EFI// folder and can use the firmware or its shell (UEFI shell) to launch the boot program. An EFI System Partition is usually formatted as FAT32.

See here for MS explanation on GPT disks and use of UEFI

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Yes I've got the manual, but I'm still not much wiser. I can rectify the problem I think, by disabling all other drives other than 'C', but I didn't want to take that route as yet.

Number six

UEFI is the alternative/replacement for the BIOS. so no I cannot disable it

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

I think you forgot the link. However I will do a bit of searching on EFI SYSTEM PARTITION. I cannot find any mention of this in the UEFI Setup Guide that came with the motherboard.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

I'm not sure if you misunderstood my problem as the link appears to be about partitions on a drive.

I have now got my system back up and working, but I did this by eventually disconnecting all my other drives. My 'C' being the only one connected was instantly recognized. However was hoping to sort the problem without disabling my other drives.

After a bit of searching last night I found this explanation of the UEFI Setup

UEFI Setup

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks