We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A couple of questions about "dongles"

Fleetblue

Likes # 0

I have 2 PC's, one running Windows 8, The other running Vista. They are in different rooms in the house. I am connected to the internet with Virgin Broadband and I have a Virgin Mini-Hub. On the Vista PC, which is 2 rooms away I cannot get the internet and have been advised by the Virgin engineer I need a "dongle". I've had a look at "dongles" on Google and I can see it's a USB connection. Fair enough I've used USB's for file transfers etc, but I take it this "dongle" is different. So my question is, bearing in mind the distance one PC is from the other, do I need a powerful "dongle". Put plainly are some "dongles" more powerful than others, and if so, how can you tell which is more powerful? Any help much appreciated.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The dongle the engineer referred to is a USB wireless adapter, although why he thinks that it will cure the problem I don't know. Presumably your Vista PC already has a built-in wireless network adapter, and a dongle isn't likely to be any better at connecting to your wireless router.

One of the best USB wireless adapters around is the Linksys AE1000 It's not cheap, but it out-performs pretty well everything else.

Like this post
Fleetblue

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help and info.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Sounds more like you need a Wireless Range extender.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Or forget wireless and use a couple of homeplugs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room