We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer 5920 Laptop will not boot

anniesboy68

Likes # 0

I'm looking at an Acer 5920 that will not boot up. I loaded Linux Mint on it some time ago. The symptoms are... start it up, then a few grating noises from the CD drive area, then it switches off, restarts and then more grating noises, and the remains on with no action and a blank scree. I have tried booting with the Mint disk, but to no avail. Any help on solving this would be appreciated. Could it be the BIOS perhaps. AB68

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried another bootable CD in it?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

How about removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes then putting it back just to see if you get a reaction.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ignore last.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Yes have tried two bootable Cds. Nothing is loading because when I swith off out goes all the lights immediately. I repeat, nothing is showing on the screen so there is nothing I can do. Perhaps give up and sell as faulty minjus the hard drive

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Sorry about the apparent spelling/letters missing'but Iam sending most posts using a tablet and the screen is very touch responsive and I am not quite used to it yet

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Disconnect mains

remove battery

press and hold power key for 30 secs

reconnect mains only and retry.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Just tried that fruitBat, no go, just the same as before. I'll give up on this, the owner is not worried said sling it if I could'nt succeed
Thanks for input, I see you are a regular "helper" AB68

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could take the harddrive out and hook it up via usb or slave to another pc to see what's on it.

Also try an external monitor so you can view bios activity.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As you say noise from DVD drive at boot, go into BIOS at boot and disable DVD drive or put it last on boot list to check when starting

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Hey chaps thanks for the inputs, but I must stress this laptop is completely dead after its initial attempts at booting, and also to note when I switch it off, off it goes immediately, within a second and in addition I must stress there is no display so I cannot get into the workings to alter anything, hence my posting that I will sell it as faulty

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers