We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer 5920 Laptop will not boot

anniesboy68

Likes # 0

I'm looking at an Acer 5920 that will not boot up. I loaded Linux Mint on it some time ago. The symptoms are... start it up, then a few grating noises from the CD drive area, then it switches off, restarts and then more grating noises, and the remains on with no action and a blank scree. I have tried booting with the Mint disk, but to no avail. Any help on solving this would be appreciated. Could it be the BIOS perhaps. AB68

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe boot order has changed in the Bios.

Have you tried safe mode.or even back to factory settings as a last resort.

Reseat the Memory see if that helps.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply, have tried all those. The main problem is I have no screen display.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe plug it into another monitor or TV to see if it works on that.Just in case it is the backlight that has gone.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried it with the battery removed.Or has there been problems with the time and date on it.

This could be helpfull.

Disconnect CMOS

It may come in handy at some point.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

disconnect HDD and dvd see if it boots to an error message

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

OK, thanks all will look int AB68 light or memory light "winking" as it would normally do in booting up.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Please ignore previous post Thanks all.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

I'm sure its something to do with the booting process as there is no flickering of the hdd indicator normally experienced when booting up. As I idicated earlier everything goes quite after the (I suppose) attempts to boot. Sounds like attempts access the CD drive (the grating noises I mentioned earlier)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Normal boot order would be DVD followed by HDD

No bootable CD and then faulty drive I would expect to see an error message of some sort.

Check BIOS and set boot order as above save and exit and rety using the mint CD.

Like this post
anniesboy68

Likes # 0

Hello fruitbat.I cannot do that as I have nothing on the screen whatsoever

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...