We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Start up problem ,xp

nobbyhigo

Likes # 0

I am struggling with start up on my little hp netbook that is on XP When i try to start up in safe mode i just get a list of drivers then thats it. if i start up normally i get the windows splash screen with scrolling band Then it goes to a blank screen Any help please regards nobby

• Tags:
  • xp
Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The best way would be to try and do a repair but for that you will need a XP disc

If you do have your Windows CD

1. To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer. Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console. The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter. It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

Easy to follow instructions here enter link description here

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Take a look at this link enter link description here particularly the reply from mesudima, if you have an HP device it might be your answer.

Like this post
nobbyhigo

Likes # 0

well i pressed the R and the set up hasnt recognised any mass storage devises and i need to specify rrom a list of 44 How do i get the one i want Is it a reference to the sata hard drive which i cant see on the list i dont understand

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

need to specify rrom a list of 44

there is no way you'll have 44 places to install from / to on a net book

If its getting to the scrolling bars / partly into safe mode then it is seeing your hard drive. I suggest you reboot from the CD and retry to get into recovery console.

Like this post
nobbyhigo

Likes # 0

Ok boot from xp cd from external usb dvd drive loading files Press R set up has not recognised any storage devises . 2 options . Specify any scsi adapters ,drives etc. for use with XP .Or you dont want to specify any devises press ENTER this says it doesnt recognise any hard disc drives This may involve a manufactures diagnostic orset up program Press S specify an additional SCSI or dc rom drive and you get a list of which drives to use this is a long list and i dont know which one to choose sorry if i am being a bi slow regards Nobby

Like this post
nobbyhigo

Likes # 0

After pzn about for hours i have found that the xp disc doesnt recognise my hard drive ,something to do with it being a SATA drive So will i need any special software from HP to format any suggestions

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try removing the Hard Drive and refitting it

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Did you try last known good configuration from the F8 menu?

Like this post
nobbyhigo

Likes # 0

ive tried that and no different i noticed this but im sorry to say its beyond me how to go about it

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/Reinstalling-Windows-XP-on-Compaq-

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features