We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would a portable SSD speed up my laptop

puma377

Likes # 0

Hope this isnt a silly question, I've tried to post it twice already, anyway, I have just bought a Samsung NP535U3C A02UK AMD 6 13" laptop as I needed something smaller, lighter and with an anti-glare screen than the 15" Toshiba satellite Pro which I already have. I only had a limited budget, and the anti-glare screen is important. I'm finding it rather slow, I have an HP desktop which runs on AMD 8 and had no problems with that. Other than getting another 13" laptop, I didnt see any others with an anti-glare screen in my price range, would a portable/external SSD drive make it go any faster? I cant fit one internally as that would invalidate the warranty which is for a generous free 2 years. Any help and suggestions for someone not too technical would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

would a portable/external SSD drive make it go any faster?

Op system needs to be on the ssd to make a difference - you cannot run the op system from an external drive (not without a great deal of trouble).

Have you removed all the bloat ware that comes on these machines and cut down on all the programs that run at start up?

Like this post
puma377

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help.
Im really new to W8 and dont really know what apps are relevant at start up. ideally what programmes besides the anti-virus/anti-malware programmes are needed at start-up? There are quite a few apps on the start screen, I dont know how to find them if I remove them from start screen.

If I decided to go ahead and install an internal SSD, would it make the laptop faster?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

An SSD would uncountably allow to to run programs faster however you would need to clone your current drive and transfer it to the SSD and that has a few problems if you are not too savvy.

One of the problems would be that you would probably lose the Recovery function as the recovery drive would probably not be carried over.

As a measure of the improvement one of my programs used to take 20 seconds to load now takes 4 seconds but that is not to be taken as normal.

Like this post
puma377

Likes # 0

Thanks. I may know someone who can do that for me. I should have read the reviews before buying, I knew the laptop would be slower but thought it was the equivalent of the i3 which is on the Toshiba.

Thanks again guys.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could use Flash disc and put disc caching on it

Like this post
puma377

Likes # 0

Can you explain what disc caching is please? I'm not very tech savvy sorry.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Check bottom of page of the link for speeding things up.

Click hear for link

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger