We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

64 bit harddrive xp install convert drive

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

My harddrive is beginning to fail and so I went out and bought a new 2tb harddrive for my XP system, knowing that XP cannot access 2tb in one lump, I partitioned it into 4 x 500gb drives- so far- so good.

I then went to instal XP on the drive and found it was a 64 bit drive - nothing on the box to indicate this

XP will not install on a drive unless it is 32 bit or you have XP 64 bit. (or window 7 or 8)

Is there a third party software that will allow me to re-partition and format in either :Fat32 or NTFS 32 bit, or will I be wasting my time.

The drive will accept data(documts etc but not an install.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I think the problem is because it is a sata drive rather than anything to do with 64bit.

XP cannot see sata drive unless you load the sata drivers at the F6 prompt at the beginning if the install

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

or have you formatted it in a 64bit machine before trying to install XP?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Hi Fruitbat

This is a new harddrive, straight from the box (Purchased from PC World.)

My old drive is an IDE, so I never thought about trying SATA drivers- Where would I get them from?.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

how did you partition it - in the achine you want to install xp in - from the xp cd?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Fruitbat.

I attached it to the machine and used disk management to format it while in windows.A 'knowledable' friend who works as a 'Technical advisor',in a well known store told me it was a 64 bit drive, so I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

I have finally found the solution, thanks to you reminding me that it was a SATA drive.I looked at Raid drivers as I thought that may be the problem (it wasn't).

Finally traced it to the BIOS where SATA had been disabled, set the BIOS setting for SATA to combined ( IDE + SATA) and that cured the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback

I was worried that it may have come pre formatted as a GPT disk XP wouldn't see it to install on but could write data to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't understand the 'knowledable' friend who works as a 'Technical advisor' saying it was a 64bit harddrive - what's that all about? bearing in mind that it was brand new sata hard drive.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Lotvic

Thinking about it, could he have trying to push me to windows 7 / 8 or a new computer ?, as you may have guessed the shop was PCWorld.

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Nothing surprises me now in stores that sell pcs, not since I was in a Comet store (before closures and troubles were news) and overheard assistant warning against free avg as 'it is full of viruses' and customer should 'buy the Norton antivirus program - which is on offer at the mo' so lucky you.....'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide